Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS OCR A Chemistry: How to write the formula of ionic compounds with roman numerals Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys can you explain how to solve this problem? Many thanks.

Q. Write the formula of the sulfate(IV)ion and the chlorate(III)ion
    A. SO3^2- and ClO2^-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecutiemarshy)
    Hey guys can you explain how to solve this problem? Many thanks.

Q. Write the formula of the sulfate(IV)ion and the chlorate(III)ion
    A. SO3^2- and ClO2^-
    The roman numeral stands for the charge on the positive ion in a compound.

The sulphate (ALWAYS) contains 1 sulphur bonded with 3 oxygens and you are given that the sulphur has a charge of 4+ by the roman numeral, therefore the overall ion must be 2- because the charge on an oxygen ion is always 2- and there are 3 of them. (3x - 2 = -6, -6+4 = -2)

ClO2^-

You are given that the chlorine ion has a charge of +3 by the numeral.
    Oxygen always has a charge of -2
    So you have -4+3 overall giving -1

Just tag me if you don't understand still

ReputationRep:
    Hey thank you for your response!
    I understand the first question, but for the second, how is chlorine bonded with 2 oxygen atoms?
    Wouldn't it be Cl2O as Cl has -1 charge whilst O has -2 charge.
    Sorry we hadn't really covered this in class :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecutiemarshy)
    Hey thank you for your response!
    I understand the first question, but for the second, how is chlorine bonded with 2 oxygen atoms?
    Wouldn't it be Cl2O as Cl has -1 charge whilst O has -2 charge.
    Sorry we hadn't really covered this in class :s
    Oxygen is always -2 unless in peroxides. If it is chlorate (III) then the oxidation state of chlorine is +3, thus it can be deduced that as an anion, its overall charge must be -1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnIndianGuy)
    Oxygen is always -2 unless in peroxides. If it is chlorate (III) then the oxidation state of chlorine is +3, thus it can be deduced that as an anion, its overall charge must be -1.
    Hi, I am aware of the oxidation rules but its not addressing the part I dont understand.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.