The Student Room Group

MEng or BEng in Petroleum Engineering?

I am studying BEng hons petroleum engineering in Portsmouth. Should I go for MEng, as university is offering me MEng. Any opinions from MEng engineering students are appreciated
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mohsinnaveed
I am studying BEng hons petroleum engineering in Portsmouth. Should I go for MEng, as university is offering me MEng. Any opinions from MEng engineering students are appreciated

Hey!

Deciding to go for an MEng or a BEng will completely depend on what you are wanting to do after completing your degree. There are several different factors to think about.

If you will definitely be wanting to do a Master's, the MEng offered may be an integrated degree which requires 1 year of study and follows on nicely from previous years. You have the benefits of already knowing the university, the faculty and facilities available. If you do the BEng, you then have the option to go virtually wherever you would like for your Master's. This may end up costing more (or less) and the Master's degree can vary from 1 year to 2 years, typically.

Think about what kind of a career you would like to get into. If it's research orientated, or within academia, getting a Master's is without doubt the path to follow. If not, a BEng will be suitable for the majority of jobs in industry. MEng degrees are not always just research related, they can help push you ahead of those with just a BEng and it can help with getting managerial roles. All of this, though, will differ tremendously, so you'll have to look into exactly interests you the most.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
I'd say having a masters is the default option now for new engineers, graduating with a BEng is going to look a bit odd if you want to go into engineering. If you have the ability to do a separate masters I would say do that however, it gives you the option to change uni in that last year and it will give you a bit of a boost in terms of going for an academic career as you will have experience with two research projects, and MSc projects are a bit bigger than the MEng projects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending