The Student Room Group

First time travelling alone this week - so nervous!

Hi everyone, I'm off to America on Saturday for the Work America programme.

Anyway, I'm extremely nervous. I think I'm going to get really home sick, gonna miss my uni and home friends and family, and just thinking in a negative way.

Is there any tips? Any advice from people who have been in my situation?
Travelling is incredibly easy if you keep a level head and stay positive! You'll make friends and settle in no time. Just make sure you stay organized.
Reply 2
Original post by BristolFresher15
Travelling is incredibly easy if you keep a level head and stay positive! You'll make friends and settle in no time. Just make sure you stay organized.

First time though, incredibly nervous.

Main tip I guess is think positively?
Original post by angelfox
First time though, incredibly nervous.

Main tip I guess is think positively?

If you worry you'll just psych yourself out. Stay calm and positive and you will enjoy it :smile:
As mentioned, just stay calm and enjoy yourself. You'll be back home to your friends and family before you even realise it.

If you're planning on travelling make a list and plan well ahead :wink:
Plan your route so as to pass through as many red light districts as possible :smug: :sexface:
Reply 7
Original post by BristolFresher15
If you worry you'll just psych yourself out. Stay calm and positive and you will enjoy it :smile:

Do you speak American(whichever is relevant to the part of America you're going to)?
This is what happens with solo travel especially if its a long way away and for an extended period of time. When you plan it it sounds amazingly exciting and you think it's gonna be great. When it comes to the few days before you start thinking ****ety ****ety ****.

One of the great life lessons travelling teaches you is how to deal with uncertainty. Uncertainty is never comfortable but the more you have dealt with those situations before where you don't know exactly how things will turn out, the better you are able to handle it.

You realise that you are going to get on the plane nervous and not knowing how things are gonna turn out, and just concentrate on things a small goal at a time - managing the travel arrangements, getting to where you need to go, first meal, first night's sleep, first few people to talk to. Once you get past these small hurdles you start to acclimatise to the new environment.

I had a job interview a few weeks ago, I'd meant to prepare a lot of it but I was so busy with work and other stuff that I didn't get much chance and I remember waking up that morning thinking oh ****ety **** but having done travelling and stuff helps you keep calm about uncertainty in future and I bossed it :sexface:

Anyway, I'm extremely nervous. I think I'm going to get really home sick, gonna miss my uni and home friends and family, and just thinking in a negative way.

It will be alright.

Concentrate on the experience. The new places, people you'll meet. Yanks love a British accent. :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nervous? Considering you're in university, I'll go on a limb here and assume you're in your early twenties. Who is seriously afraid of going abroad when they're in their twenties? Seriously? I'll show you a picture of young people going "abroad" in 1944.

If you're doing anything like that - be afraid, otherwise - grow the hell up.
Reply 13
Original post by SMEGGGY
Concentrate on the experience. The new places, people you'll meet. Yanks love a British accent. :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they do apparently, just coming out of a rejection as well :biggrin:
Yeah they do apparently, just coming out of a rejection as well :biggrin:

My mate living in Texas said you get women throwing themselves at you if you've got a British accent.

Take full advantage of it.:biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by JamesN88
My mate living in Texas said you get women throwing themselves at you if you've got a British accent.

Take full advantage of it.:biggrin:

I need to work on it a little, I speak with a slight northern accent yet pronounce words in the Queen's English :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest