Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone had offers for the Access to Medicine at COWA starting September 2016? What are your plans for Housing, Funding etc?

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply for the 2017/18 intake. How did you find the interview(s)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theomugadza)
    Anyone had offers for the Access to Medicine at COWA starting September 2016? What are your plans for Housing, Funding etc?
    Hey! I got a conditional offer (but it's pretty much guaranteed) and I'm planning on relocating from London to study. The college has a list of landlords that house COWA students so try to get your hands on one of those. I'm not sure whether I want to live in the usual 6 bedroom house that most Access to Medicine students take or if I want to roomie up with someone for a 2 bedroom flat.

If you already have level 3 qualifications go for the Advanced Learner Loan (which you don't have to pay back if you go to uni) to pay for the course. Then you can apply for the bursary from the college to pay for accommodation.

(Original post by junedfile)
    I'm hoping to apply for the 2017/18 intake. How did you find the interview(s)?
    Honestly the interview process was very laidback. We just had a tour around the college and each interview lasted a maximum of 10 minutes. The course director will ask about your background, your work experience and why you want to study the course. My interview took 3 minutes tops and I got the offer. Nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the information! when do you plan to move down then? And do you know if there is any way to get in contact with prospective students to talk about house sharing etc? ( like a facebook group or anything like that)

ReputationRep:
    I'll be sitting the UKCAT on Friday 1st Sept so I should be moving down that weekend. No, there's no Facebook group. People seeing this post is probably your best bet at getting in touch as the college won't give out people's information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theomugadza)
    (Original post by thelxthel)
    Hey! I got a conditional offer (but it's pretty much guaranteed) and I'm planning on relocating from London to study. The college has a list of landlords that house COWA students so try to get your hands on one of those. I'm not sure whether I want to live in the usual 6 bedroom house that most Access to Medicine students take or if I want to roomie up with someone for a 2 bedroom flat.

If you already have level 3 qualifications go for the Advanced Learner Loan (which you don't have to pay back if you go to uni) to pay for the course. Then you can apply for the bursary from the college to pay for accommodation.

Honestly the interview process was very laidback. We just had a tour around the college and each interview lasted a maximum of 10 minutes. The course director will ask about your background, your work experience and why you want to study the course. My interview took 3 minutes tops and I got the offer. Nothing to worry about.
    Hi both,

I'm looking to apply for this course for 2017 entry (I'll be 23 at the time of application).

In the talks did the university give you any indication of how many of their students got interviews with universities and also, how many were made offers? I'm very interested in this course however, my risk adversity is quite low so I'd need to know I have a realistic chance of gaining a place at medical school on completion.

Thanks,
    Jordan.

ReputationRep:
    This course is amazing, it gets you in medicine, you are taking a big step forward when you are on this course I must say.

Regards

Ric

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Sorry for grave-digging this thread up, but I'll be starting Access to Medicine at COWA in september, got my UKCAT all done so big relief there. Could anyone who's been on the course give any advice on pre-reading? I'm brushing up on all my sciences and maths but unsure on how the balance will be on the actual course. :s

Also just to say hello to anyone else out there who's starting the course this year!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I would not get bogged down with to much reading as you will be doing a lot on the course.

However if you get some A level text books for chemistry and physics that will help.

I also read organic chemisrty for dummies, it prepared me very well for the organic chemistry that they taught.

If you are really new to science just scan over the GCSE stuff on the internet, it will not take long.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I will be starting this september, I am really looking forward to the course as it seems to be really well-known. I just wanted to ask if any of you had experienced any racism in King's Lynn, I've just heard it has reputation for racism/aggression which I didn't know about before applying. I will be commuting in from cambridge but I am still slightly worried that as black girl I might be slightly vulnerable to this. Have any of you guys heard/seen anything? It seemed nice enough when I went for the interview but I was only there for 2 hours. How is the revision/ukcat going?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

If you do the access course do you still have to do UKCAT and BMAT depending on where you apply? TYIA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michellem3)
    Hi

If you do the access course do you still have to do UKCAT and BMAT depending on where you apply? TYIA
    I believe so, I did mine in July. Starting the course next week!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. Just wondering how are you all finding the course? Hoping to start this in 2017.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm applying for 2017 and from Cambridge too. What's the interview like and I don't mind a car share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MemZi)
    Hi I'm applying for 2017 and from Cambridge too. What's the interview like and I don't mind a car share.
    Hi there. I'm looking to apply soon for the 2017/18 year. I live near Norwich, and so I'm considering moving to Kings Lynn for the days in which the course is active.

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for 2017 entry. Can anyone tell me what its like and the sort of questions asked etc Also for people on the course is it good to get in to study medicine. I already have a degree but its not science...

ReputationRep:
    Hi had an interview got an offer really easy don't worry

ReputationRep:
    Hi, wonder if anyone can help.. I did my GCSE's about 5 years ago now & am brushing up on my GCSE Maths & Science, will this be enough to get through the entry tests for an Access to Medicine course? Anyone have any experience of how hard these tests are? I'm looking to go to Sussex Downs College

ReputationRep:
    Anyone starting in September?

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 28, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.