Physical Education is a waste of time Watch

Jacko99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Here don't you think PE is a bit of a farce or that it is irrelevant to your subjects/syllabus. Personal for me in my school, we are required to do 2 periods of the horrendous stuff and it hasn't made a real difference! According to the Education Scotland webpage it tells me that it is only compulsory up to S4. I find it ridiculous that i have to do this crap when i am in S5 going into S6. (If you are asking im not the smartest, but i am just making a valid point)
zm2088
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In England, we are required to have an hour a week after Year 10 (the year before GCSES), and i spend most of it talking or playing games on my phone on a cold field wearing shorts.
ODES_PDES
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Many agree, but it is here to stay
Jacko99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hahaha lets hope the educational reforms by the SNP in Scotland chane the PE rule. End of discussion!
___Sophie___
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We don't need to do it in S5 unless you choose it. It's a complete waste of time you get 50 minutes twice a week and it takes at least 10 minutes at the beginning and end for everyone to get changed and the equipment to get out. I "forgot" my kit most of the time and when I did participate I just stood at the side mostly. A lot of kids in my school take PE it too seriously and would get irritated with me during team sports.
___Sophie___
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you heard about the SNP's plan for a mile a day?
http://thedailymile.co.uk/media-cent...olkids-fitter/
Lets hope this never happens!!
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What would really make PE stand up and take notice is if every country in the world had compulsory national service (for both genders). Then nobody in the world would be a fat slob.
Mightlobster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is a thread for all the insecure nerds to get together and criticise...

Gotta learn how to kick a ball, it's fun.
gweilo100
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I hated it. But now I don't think it a waste of time, just the teacher wasn't the best.

PE is something to do good things to your body. There are some cool calisthenics videos on youtube. And teenage transformation.

Like everything else it's only a waste of time if you don't know what you are doing and don't take the time to learn.

So if the teacher is a robot, try youtube.
gweilo100
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mightlobster)

It's not just about kicking a ball.

I have bad eye sight. I couldn't see the ball in time, and couldn't make out the different team players. And the rules were confusing. Fouks weren't permitted, they shoved you aside nonetheless and didn't get punished. Why make a rule if it isn't followed?

Later I grew rapidly. Muscles stretched, levers changed quickly. No power could force my long bones to lift my body.

I really hated PE. Now I run and go to the gym several times per week.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mightlobster)

Sounds boring, oh wait I had to be on the pitch so I know it is. In football the teacher made me go near the goal net thingy and I kept avoiding it so I didn't get my nose broken.

Hockey have sticks so short that you have to bend over at an angle that causes what I would describe as horrendous pain in the back.
Also in hockey you get people smacking the solid ball like golf. I was hit twice by it and was fortunate it wasn't my head that got hit.
Citizenofpanem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think the problem is with how it is taught, rather than the subject itself.

I was a very academic pupil, and I absolutely hated PE. It was so bad that my mood would always drop considerably on a Sunday night, simply because I knew I had double PE on a Monday morning. The thing is, I wasn’t lazy or particularly unfit. I would go to after school swimming classes every week out of choice, and I made excellent progression there. The problem for me, particularly at secondary school was that we had the stereotypical “laddish” PE teachers, and I’m pretty sure they saw me as the stereotypical “class swot” who they could ridicule. They never explained the rules to any games, and there were never any lesson objectives or specific skills to master. It was just the same macho lads’ kickabout in the field every single week. Sometimes I’d manage to sneak off and sit under a tree or something, but other times the teacher seemed to take particular amusement in picking on me and pointing out how useless I was. Sometimes they’d shout at me for returning from a rugby match in pristine clean kit, so I used to get a handful of mud and rub it in, five minutes before the lesson ended. My poor mum would wash my kit for nothing. 😂. My school never even had working showers in the PE block - it was disgusting. Looking back on it all, I’m pretty sure I’m dyspraxia because I have absolutely zero coordination, and I couldn’t catch a ball, or even kick one without tripping over. Everyone used to take the piss, because I’d say I’d far rather have double maths, or go sit in the library for a few hours. 😟

As a kid, I always loathed PE, and as I got older I took great delight in trying to get the worst grades possible. However, now I’m starting a PGCE in Primary education, and I decided that my attitudes must change because it would be unfair on my future classes to project my dislike of the subject in to them. I’ve been reading up on how to teach PE, and to my amazement, there are plenty of opportunities for inclusion and differentiation in the subject. Understanding the various teaching pedagogies and exploring how to support children of all abilities has shown me that the problem really does lie in the teaching delivery, not the subject. I’m actually looking forward to teaching PE now - if only so that I ensure other children don’t experience it the way I did.
TSR Mustafa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Am i the only person who enjoyed PE?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

13.58%
12.83%
2 (99)
12.45%
18.74%
23.02%
19.37%

Watched Threads