The Student Room Group

Maths with economics at UCL or MORSE at Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by inhuman
And above you attacked someone for going down the "bitchy route".

I went to LSE for my BSc, I think you know yourself that I am not insecure.

I asked because it does in fact explain a lot of the way you are posting on here. For one you admitted that your biggest regret is not applying to Oxbridge/ICL/LSE, and that you went to UCL, both of which explain that you would argue to death that a) UCL is better than Warwick and b) that in international rankings UCL is good.

In fact, you are the one who is insecure, and you are projecting now.

Log off. You went to a great uni. Do something with that. No need for this here.

I will be starting my BSc at LSE in September (in a much weaker subject than Economics). Can you give me any advice on making the most of the different opportunities LSE offers, with the aim of eventually becoming an investment banker?
Original post by h3110
I will be starting my BSc at LSE in September (in a much weaker subject than Economics). Can you give me any advice on making the most of the different opportunities LSE offers, with the aim of eventually becoming an investment banker?

Join societies, prep your CV and Cover Letters early (get others to check them) before applying, network, go out, party and get laid, get on Linkedin, keep up with hobbies, read financial news, figure out what you want to do 'investment banker' doesn't really tell us anything, attend careers fairs etc.. The usual stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 122
Original post by Princepieman
Join societies, prep your CV and Cover Letters early (get others to check them) before applying, network, go out, party and get laid, get on Linkedin, keep up with hobbies, read financial news, figure out what you want to do 'investment banker' doesn't really tell us anything, attend careers fairs etc.. The usual stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to be very rich and have parties like in The Wolf Of Wall Street
Original post by h3110

Then don't go into IB. Go become Leo Di Cap

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h3110

There you go buddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx4poQw1mZo
Original post by h3110

What @Princepieman said

If you are struggling with classes, or just want to understand something better, I found that office hours of lecturers were vastly underused. Have specific questions ready go to office hour and ask them to explain.

Try to already get a spring internship. The one I got they told us we got the internship almost solely based on how good the cover letter was, so make sure you know how to write a good cover letter. Talk to people for this, there is help on here for that, go to the careers service.

And then keep going. If you are really an eager beaver there will be lots of talks, events etc. by firms, go there take notes of what was said, always something you can use in an interview.
To OP, I suggest that you apply to both unis since they are both targets in the UK (You can apply to 5 unis). Given that you get decent enough grades, you should get offers from both unis and then make up your mind which one you'd prefer more.
If you can afford it, go for one of Oxbridge/ICL and if not, there are still some good unis left :wink:

That being said, MORSE can be quite heavy on Maths but you can choose not to do any Maths modules in year 2-4 (and opt for Economics modules instead or sth else). Warwick does have a very good reputation particularly for Maths (look at the beautiful Warwick Mathematics Institute and COWI) but UCL Maths will do the job too.
Also, you should wonder whether moving out and being on your own at uni is part of growing up and part of the whole uni experience? Maybe that would help you later if you have to decide which uni you want to firm.
Yet the maths professors I know at LSE say they would recommend others go to COWI instead..

It is pretty well known LSE doesn't have a great Maths course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yet the maths professors I know at LSE say they would recommend others go to COWI instead..

It is pretty well known LSE doesn't have a great Maths course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this is a late reply but LSE doesn't have a maths course.
They have a joint honours in maths and economics but their amazing econ department cancels out the lacklustre maths department to make a pretty good joint honours degree. At least that's what i thought.
Original post by inspiringtop123
I know this is a late reply but LSE doesn't have a maths course.
They have a joint honours in maths and economics but their amazing econ department cancels out the lacklustre maths department to make a pretty good joint honours degree. At least that's what i thought.

Lol why did you quote him twice

I completely agree though. LSE might not have a great maths dept but it shouldn't really be compared to other maths depts anyway since LSE focuses on birdging maths and economics together so it's a great degree for someone wishing to combine the two.

(Also, if you want to go into exotic derivs trading, maybe go for a straight maths course at COWI instead of LSE because i have not seen anyone from LSE in exotic derivs except one guy working in inflation trading.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 129
Original post by inhuman
I got offers from both and put Warwick as my insurance. I went to my firm which was not UCL :wink:

UCL students probably got rejected from LSE for econ, no offence.

this is very true
In terms of rep, they're the same. I know a lot doing MORSE and they enjoy it so much, I mean, once you get offers from unis such as Warwick and UCL, you're in the game of working hard and smashing it. Visit each one individually and really pick at the course and see which one you;ll be most happy studying and where. You can inbox me if you have personal q's about Warwick :smile:
I don't wanna be the guy who bumps old threads but some subjects at UCL are pretty competitive to get into- economics has a 30% offer rate, so while its out of the Ivy League it's still competitive while Warwick usually has offer rates of 70% or more
Warwick. Hands down. My mates mum in the HR team for MS, and they deff rate Warwick MORSE over UCL anything else. Its the sickest course that Warwick has to offer.
Original post by MDmcDeeezeNuts
Warwick. Hands down. My mates mum in the HR team for MS, and they deff rate Warwick MORSE over UCL anything else. Its the sickest course that Warwick has to offer.

Is it actually? Wow I didn't know it was rated so highly. Do they actually care about the course that much?
Original post by swervybang
I don't wanna be the guy who bumps old threads but some subjects at UCL are pretty competitive to get into- economics has a 30% offer rate, so while its out of the Ivy League it's still competitive while Warwick usually has offer rates of 70% or more

Warwick Econ - 53%

Warwick PPE - 25%

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/warwick_ppe_admission_statistics - With PPE normally having around 250 to 300 offers given out.

Both figures wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Newcastle456
Warwick Econ - 53%

Warwick PPE - 25%

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/warwick_ppe_admission_statistics - With PPE normally having around 250 to 300 offers given out.

Both figures wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol someone's triggered :smile:
Original post by swervybang
Lol someone's triggered :smile:

Triggered what?

If the figures are wrong, they are wrong.

It's just plain ******** what was being argued. People read the forum, so fabricating the truth and providing unhelpful information is poor form.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Newcastle456
Triggered what?

If the figures are wrong, they are wrong.

It's just plain ******** what was being argued. People read the forum, so fabricating the truth and providing unhelpful information is poor form.

Ok calm down dear
Reply 138
Honestly, the structure of MORSE, the flexibility and sheer amount of modules available and the size of the Maths/Stats institute at Warwick should make this a no-brainer. Academically I don't see a reason why would one select Maths at UCL over Maths/MORSE at Warwick unless they really want to be in London.
Reply 139
Hey guys just encase yous don’t know.. there’s a website called UNiDAYS that does discount right up to like 30% off clothes like jack wills, jd, top shop etc, food and drink, restaurants, health and beauty pretty much everything. Heres the link for it

myunidays.com/r/Dd2GEUtdgBQ

I bought a printer on the hp website and used 30% discount code and got it for like £17 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending