The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Chemistry (2420) Unit 2 10th June 2016 (Resit)

Hello guys,

As I have seen the threads on the forum, there has been no thread made for this specific Unit. Since there is just a week and a half to go, I thought it would still be preferable to make it and converse our thoughts on certain topics and areas of concern in the Unit 2 paper.

As I have got some decent ground on this Unit and will be retaking it to boost UMS grades to get either a A/A*, I will be helping you all as best as I can and you all can correct me if I do make any mistake at all..

Fire away questions and I will try to do a bit of a summary of what knowledge you need for the spec in the coming few days so you guys get the jist of what will be required for the exam.

Good luck to you all and your ambitions and goals :h:

Scroll to see replies

I am resitting this unit too. I am fine with everything except from all the reagent and colour change stuff. So if u don't mind, can u do like a brief condensed summary of a list of reagents and what u would expect to see with different compounds. E.g. AgNO3, bromine water and stuff. 😁There was a 12 marker on this stuff last year
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
do you guys know if the higher mark is counted for resits?
Hello Everybody,

Im also retaking how are you all finding revision?

I was just doing a question and ive got a bit stuck on question a the one about circling the carbons please could somebody help me :smile:
i think they take best mark
Reply 5
Hey guys for the how to compare the two rates of reaction would they accept using a colorimeter? Feel like I've made a mistake because it's precipitate that's formed
Reply 6
Original post by emsieMC
Hey guys for the how to compare the two rates of reaction would they accept using a colorimeter? Feel like I've made a mistake because it's precipitate that's formed

I BSed that question and said about weighing mass of AgCl and looking at change in conc/mass over time but honestly yours sounds more sensible.

I hated it :cry2: both today's and yesterday's papers have completely knocked my confidence this year. The papers are just so *weird* compared to all the past papers I've done. I honestly blanked when I saw that question and the last isomer question.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Scitty
I BSed that question and said about weighing mass of AgCl and looking at change in conc/mass over time but honestly yours sounds more sensible.

I hated it :crying: both today's and yesterday's papers have completely knocked my confidence this year. The papers are just so *weird* compared to all the past papers I've done. I honestly blanked when I saw that question and the last isomer question.

Yeah they are weird to be honest the last few pages that were 13 marks I had five minutes to do because I didnt know they were there! Thank god I knew the answers quickly and I think I only lost two or three marks due to not having enough time to answer the carbocation question even though I knew it! So annoyed with that, if I knew they were there I wouldn't have lost those marks
Reply 8
Original post by emsieMC
Yeah they are weird to be honest the last few pages that were 13 marks I had five minutes to do because I didnt know they were there! Thank god I knew the answers quickly and I think I only lost two or three marks due to not having enough time to answer the carbocation question even though I knew it! So annoyed with that, if I knew they were there I wouldn't have lost those marks

My tactic is always to skip a question if I don't immediately know the the answer, head for the big marks first. I did the last two pages first cause I found them easy I wanted to bag those marks :P though I probably lost all of them in other places across the paper (like all of the half equations stuff + that rate investigation question, blegh).
Reply 9
Original post by Scitty
My tactic is always to skip a question if I don't immediately know the the answer, head for the big marks first. I did the last two pages first cause I found them easy I wanted to bag those marks :P though I probably lost all of them in other places across the paper (like all of the half equations stuff + that rate investigation question, blegh).

Haha yeah see I thought I was leaving that four marker rate investigation until last but I just forgot about the big markers at the back
Original post by Scitty

I hated it :cry2: both today's and yesterday's papers have completely knocked my confidence this year. The papers are just so *weird* compared to all the past papers I've done. I honestly blanked when I saw that question and the last isomer question.

I'm pretty sure weighing the precipitate is right, not using a colorimeter.
Reply 11
Original post by emsieMC
Haha yeah see I thought I was leaving that four marker rate investigation until last but I just forgot about the big markers at the back

Ouch >< at least you managed to get to them!

Do we think boundaries will be as high as last year (85 for an A) or lower?
Reply 12
Original post by I like cows
I'm pretty sure weighing the precipitate is right, not using a colorimeter.

Yeah that's why I feel like mine was wrong, there's definitely got to be more than one approach though, do you think at all possible with colorimeter? I think I went a bit A2 on it and also maybe should have just times how long it took to go white
Reply 13
Original post by Scitty

I think for an A it will be lower but for B and C it might be higher
Original post by Scitty

That was definetly harder than last years and year before. Hopefully around 75 depending on how everyone did
what was the two observations when magnesium reacted with steam
and i thought the equation is mg + h2o ---> mgo + h2
Original post by emsieMC
Yeah that's why I feel like mine was wrong, there's definitely got to be more than one approach though, do you think at all possible with colorimeter? I think I went a bit A2 on it and also maybe should have just times how long it took to go white

I doubt it mate. Don't think you can use colorimeter with white precipitate. What you put for second bit of question?
Reply 17
Original post by arronpile
what was the two observations when magnesium reacted with steam
and i thought the equation is mg + h2o ---> mgo + h2

Bright white flame and white solid is what I put
Reply 18
Question 2 calculations:
People get these?
Original post by emsieMC
Bright white flame and white solid is what I put

i put bright white light and white precipitate

Quick Reply