Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,
    I'm set on a career in conservation and research and although I don't necessarily need a formal qualification for this, I think it'll be the best pathway. However my largest issue is I did not take a science A level (and if I'm honest my gcse science results were below par- though I passed- due to ill health at the time so I don't look great on paper.)
    I applied late (Easter time) as I've been unsure what exactly what I want to do with my life and I do have a place to do a degree at Askham Bryan College to do Animal sciences and management- but I don't think this will be a specific enough pathway for what I want to do. (Plus I'd rather go to a proper uni.)
    Due to my lack of sciences I have looked into doing the Environmental Science degree through the OU- and I want to know if anyone has been successful in starting this degree and then moving to a brick uni for the 2nd or 3rd year? If so which uni (and course)?
    Many thanks.

    stepping back from your question - 'conservation and research' covers a lot of ground...and the best path for you depends on what you are aiming for

    so - what is it that you want to be doing? if it is academic research, or equivalent work at an NGO, then not only will you need a degree but probably a PhD as well

    if you want to be a warden/ranger/estate worker/field tech then you need practical experience and qualifications (and natural history skills) more than a degree - but more and more jobs expect a relevant degree as well

    Your best bet would be to email the admissions offices of the unis you're interested in and ask them directly what their conditions are, and if transferring from the OU (provide them with a list of units you'll be studying in year 1) is a possibility. You will more than likely find that you may have to start again at Year 1 in a brick uni if you don't have the required A Levels to apply straight to them - transferring is not a way of by-passing their grade requirements.
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.