The Student Room Group

MSc in Finance and Investment at Durham or MSc in Finance at Trinity College Dublin

I have recently received the following offers and need your valuable reviews and comments.
1. MSc in Finance and Investment at Durham University Business School.
2. MSc in Finance at Trinity College Dublin

My career goal after graduation is to join to an IB or a HF. A working location is likely to be not a matter depending on salary.

Durham
Pro:
overall university and business school ranking is better than TCD
in the UK

Cons:
expensive more than 30k GBP including accommodation, food, etc.
since it is a small town, about 260 miles away from London, it might be boring, but just 1 year

TCD
approx 32k EUR including accommodation, food, etc.
other factors are almost exactly against the pro/cons of Durham

Thank you guys for your comments in advance.

FYI:
Durham course content:
1. Advanced Financial Theory
2. Derivative Markets
3. Econometric Methods
4. Financial Modelling and Business Forecasting
5. Portfolio Management
6. Financial Risk Management
7. Security Analysis

Plus one elective course and a dissertation

TCD course structure:
Credit & Fixed Income Analysis
Corporate Finance
Financial Statement Analysis
Derivatives
Investment Theory
Econometrics
Advanced Statement Analysis
Portfolio & Wealth Management

four elective from
Financial Markets & Institutions
Macroeconomic Analysis for Business
Financial Modelling & Simulation
Panel & Cross-sectional Data Analysis
International Finance
Applied Investment Management & Training
Equity & Bond Strategies
Securitization & Structured Finance
Treasury Management
Asset Liability Management
Venture Capital
Alternative Investments
Financial Regulation & Governance
Reply 1
Original post by EMRN2016
I have recently received the following offers and need your valuable reviews and comments.
1. MSc in Finance and Investment at Durham University Business School.
2. MSc in Finance at Trinity College Dublin

My career goal after graduation is to join to an IB or a HF. A working location is likely to be not a matter depending on salary.

Durham
Pro:
overall university and business school ranking is better than TCD
in the UK

Cons:
expensive more than 30k GBP including accommodation, food, etc.
since it is a small town, about 260 miles away from London, it might be boring, but just 1 year

TCD
approx 32k EUR including accommodation, food, etc.
other factors are almost exactly against the pro/cons of Durham

Thank you guys for your comments in advance.

FYI:
Durham course content:
1. Advanced Financial Theory
2. Derivative Markets
3. Econometric Methods
4. Financial Modelling and Business Forecasting
5. Portfolio Management
6. Financial Risk Management
7. Security Analysis

Plus one elective course and a dissertation

TCD course structure:
Credit & Fixed Income Analysis
Corporate Finance
Financial Statement Analysis
Derivatives
Investment Theory
Econometrics
Advanced Statement Analysis
Portfolio & Wealth Management

four elective from
Financial Markets & Institutions
Macroeconomic Analysis for Business
Financial Modelling & Simulation
Panel & Cross-sectional Data Analysis
International Finance
Applied Investment Management & Training
Equity & Bond Strategies
Securitization & Structured Finance
Treasury Management
Asset Liability Management
Venture Capital
Alternative Investments
Financial Regulation & Governance

Both very similar in terms of prospects. Durham is higher regarded in London (i'd assume). That being said, neither are true 'targets' for tier 1 IBD, and hedge funds generally don't recruit too much at graduate level (more about networking). Durham is a very well respected university, but its business school doesn't get as much attention.

I think in order to land an IBD position, you're going to have to do some networking, or have something else to offer, such as relevant internships or strong extra curricular.

Both are a long way from London but i'd imagine Durham to London via train is easier than catching a plane.

Bottom line is I think Durham is a safer option, but the cost reflects that. If I were you, i'd take whichever interests you more, based on course and location. I don't think its worth analysing the two down to the closest detail as there are pros and cons of both.
Reply 2
Thanks for very helpful advice.

Honestly, the course structure of the Trinity seems more matching with my interest. Also, I think since the TCD is the best in Ireland, it is maybe relatively easier to be hired there. But, I still want to know how good its business school is in terms of academic quality, alumni network, etc, etc, etc.

So, If you have awareness about the Trinity Business School and any other comment, please share with me.

My plan B after grad is to pursue a MBA degree in the USA if I fail on a plan A - gaining an employment.

Original post by StefanG
Both very similar in terms of prospects. Durham is higher regarded in London (i'd assume). That being said, neither are true 'targets' for tier 1 IBD, and hedge funds generally don't recruit too much at graduate level (more about networking). Durham is a very well respected university, but its business school doesn't get as much attention.

I think in order to land an IBD position, you're going to have to do some networking, or have something else to offer, such as relevant internships or strong extra curricular.

Both are a long way from London but i'd imagine Durham to London via train is easier than catching a plane.

Bottom line is I think Durham is a safer option, but the cost reflects that. If I were you, i'd take whichever interests you more, based on course and location. I don't think its worth analysing the two down to the closest detail as there are pros and cons of both.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by EMRN2016
Thanks for very helpful advice.

Honestly, the course structure of the Trinity seems more matching with my interest. Also, I think since the TCD is the best in Ireland, it is maybe relatively easier to be hired there. But, I still want to know how good its business school is in terms of academic quality, alumni network, etc, etc, etc.

So, If you have awareness about the Trinity Business School and any other comment, please share with me.

My plan B after grad is to pursue a MBA degree in the USA if I fail on a plan A - gaining an employment.

Unfortunately I can't give much insight on that. I will say that I have actually seen a few high positioned individuals in firms with Trinity MBAs. I would choose Trinity personally. I recon the business school experience will be better there, given its actually known for its business/management. Money is a fair deal too.
Reply 4
Have you checked employment reports at both B-Schools, what about HF and IB recruitment, campus presentations or even London treks? As StefanG pointed out, Durham B-School is not a strong feeder to the City. Good parent uni, but mid tier B-School.
Avoid Durham, it is dreadful.

Firstly, you are deceived once you apply. They stated a third term option of a "business placement" which was then taken away once studies commenced. They also claim that their Finance Masters course contains 70% of the CFA. This is comical, the figure is more like 40%. Relevant CFA material is not covered in the course that should cover it, Corporate Finance. Instead, students are treated to an abundance of academic journals on issues that are solved based on so many assumptions that the practicality of the solution is useless. Perhaps 70% of the CFA is covered if you take ALL courses on offer, however that is not an option and hence it is deceitful to say otherwise.

The lecturing is awful. There has not been a single English lecturer, making it difficult in class when lecturers struggle with English as their second language. Often lecturers will simply read off the lecture slides (this includes simply reading mathematical derivations and not writing them on the board or explaining the steps).

The step from lecturing quality to examination standard is incredible. It is like you are being taught by a year 7 Mathematics teacher for an A-level exam.

The usefulness of the material taught is questionable. Not once are we taught DCF or FCF analysis, despite how vital it is in valuing a firm.

The career opportunities in Finance following DUBS are almost nonexistent. The degree is not competitive enough against other schools (and I can now see why). The careers service are equally useless and completely out-of-date with their methods. They often refer to their contacts in a number of companies, although I doubt they even exist.

For £21,450 save your money.

A number of us are frustrated by Durham University Business School and have pledge to warn others to avoid this university.

Not to mention there are swarms of Chinese students and you are made to feel like a minority in tutorial classes. Being forced to work with these students in a group is a pain in the backside. N

Also, the town is dull. There are probably more shops in a remote Alaskan village than there are in Durham. The weather is also always cold. Avoid.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I have been offered a place at Durham Business School for MSc. Management (Finance) and I heard only good things about the course and the uni until now. I've also been offered a place at Kings college London for accountability, accounting and financial Management. I am really confused as of now. Could you guide me ? Thank you!
Reply 7
I was accepted at the Durham MSc Finance & Investment more than 10 years ago. What "DBSisdreadful" says is more or less true.

Indeed the Financial Modeling and Business Forecasting course was taught with powerpoint, which is ridiculous for such course. The MSc Finance seemed to be more academic and seemed to focus too much on theory, f.ex. you had to read about 10 articles debating the flaws of the CAPM. For those looking for a PhD that would be the ideal master degree, but for someone aiming to enter the job market, it was too theoritical.

At that time some of us decided to switch to the MA Financial Mgt (today MSc Mangement (Finance)). We didn't regret it. Courses were much more practical as you had a combination of theory and case studies. You had a financial management course, which was not available in the MSc Finance programme. I think today this course also include real options topics which you didn't have in the MSc Finance. Besides, you had a strategy course, which was very useful and helped you make better use of corporate finance topics. Besides, the teaching staff seemed to be more helpful than in the MSc Finance.

For that reason, I think that "DBSisdreadul" review should not affect your choice of the MSc Management (Finance)
Hello,I would like to know about the MSc. in Financial Risk Management at Trinity College Dublin. I have been selected at Trinity but I would like to know about the job prospects after attending Financial Risk Management course at Trinity College Dublin for Non European student. (I like this course and have always achieved top 10 class ranks)Thanks and regards,Mohammad Yusuf Zaheer
Original post by StefanG

I got offers from Bristol, Manchester Business School and Rotterdam School of Management for MSc in Finance. Which one would you suggest for a career in IB or management consulting?

Quick Reply