Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Volunteering in charity shop need some advice watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

So I've got a work trial tomorrow after applying to volunteer in a British Heart Foundation shop, I was just wondering if anybody else had any experience and whether it was enjoyable or not.

And also if somebody could answer me as to whether you pick the days/hours you volunteer for? I'm doing this over Summer before Uni starts up again but there there are only really 2 days a week where I'll be available to volunteer.

Thanks in advance.

-Michael

ReputationRep:
    As a volunteer you should have more say in the hours/days. You're giving someone your time and that is valuable so it is important that boundaries are established that work for both parties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MWilsher)
    Hello!

So I've got a work trial tomorrow after applying to volunteer in a British Heart Foundation shop, I was just wondering if anybody else had any experience and whether it was enjoyable or not.

And also if somebody could answer me as to whether you pick the days/hours you volunteer for? I'm doing this over Summer before Uni starts up again but there there are only really 2 days a week where I'll be available to volunteer.

Thanks in advance.

-Michael
    i volunteered there and hated it!
    the staff were rude and had me steaming clothes the whole time when they knew i was there specifically to do admin. consequently i left
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hello!

Thanks in advance.

-Michael
    I volunteered in a charity shop for 2 years and loved it, they were fully flexible hours wise.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    They should be flexible.
    It depends on the people.
    I would focus on earning money tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Thanks in advance.

-Michael
    I did the same as you and volunteered for 5 months (June - October 2013) at PSDA. My local town has LOADS of charity shops so I basically went round all of them and they were the easiest/fastest to reply back to me.

I volunteered once a week for 4/5hour shifts. As someone mentioned earlier, I did get more say over what shifts I did do (as I was unpaid for them). This made it easier to manage secondary school and weekend work.

I'd assume this would be what normally happens, however it does depend on your shop, policies and their management.

My PDSA shop was quite small so I was given till training/manned the till and also tasked to manage the book section.

Back then I didn't have a part time job so this was a great introduction to work and also improving my confidence. Everyone was really nice and I did enjoy it, I would have continued however school started again.

Consequently it also introduced me to volunteering (which I've continued into uni) and was the main reason I got my current part time job in 2014 as I was fully till trained.

By the way, are you in Scotland? We have the Saltire Awards which lets you log your hours/get certificates - got 50 just for that role

If not, make sure you log them as your uni might have a scheme to record them (ours do and they end on our report when we graduate)

Hope this helps, warning...once you've caught the volunteering bug it's hard to stop!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I had my work trial and today had my first full shift, they're fine with the hours being flexible.But yeah, to my surprise I've really enjoyed it, the work I've done has made time go pretty quickly as well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello!

Thanks in advance.

-Michael
    Hi I still volunteer at BHF (even though I'm in full time employment) but they're really flexible with the hours as they let me volunteer on (some) Saturdays!

I do strongly advise you to work whenever you can and make the best of it as you will learn a lot from your experience.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.