Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Preface -
    - I am 25.
    - I did Math, Chemistry, Biology and Health &Social Care at A level. The results were A* A* A B. I then started a career in accountancy and should soon be getting a first degree via the Oxford Brookes ACCA program. Oxford Brookes BSc (Hons) in Applied Accounting is the name of the degree.

Unfortunately, after some years in this role I have realised it is making me miserable! It is time for a change and I would really like to work in a field where things are created. At home I love DIY, cars, learning how things work etc, so a career in Engineering seems like to it would suit me perfectly.

Unfortunately, I don't know what to do to become and engineer from my current situation. Would I go back and start an undergraduate course? Am I able to start a masters level as I will have an undergraduate degree?

I really am a little lost with where I should begin, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Oldstudentguy)
    Preface -
    - I am 25.
    - I did Math, Chemistry, Biology and Health &Social Care at A level. The results were A* A* A B. I then started a career in accountancy and should soon be getting a first degree via the Oxford Brookes ACCA program. Oxford Brookes BSc (Hons) in Applied Accounting is the name of the degree.

Unfortunately, after some years in this role I have realised it is making me miserable! It is time for a change and I would really like to work in a field where things are created. At home I love DIY, cars, learning how things work etc, so a career in Engineering seems like to it would suit me perfectly.

Unfortunately, I don't know what to do to become and engineer from my current situation. Would I go back and start an undergraduate course? Am I able to start a masters level as I will have an undergraduate degree?

I really am a little lost with where I should begin, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You've got good A-levels so you shouldn't have much problem getting into an engineering degree. But I don't think you could go straight into a masters degree from your background, unfortunately. But 25 is hardly old, so don't worry about starting a second bachelors.

ReputationRep:
    So I can't claim to be an expert, but I'd have thought you would really need to go via an undergraduate degree route, possibly via a foundation year or OU evening classes as I note you do not have an A level in Physics. Physics A level is basically mandatory for all engineering courses and even chemical engineering favours Physics over Chemistry.

I don't think going straight on to a masters would be an option, as you will have relatively little in the way of transferable skills from your accountancy degree. Assuming you were even let onto one I imagine the learning curve would be nearly insurmountable, but you could always give it an attempt.

The only other route I could see would be some sort of on the job learning, but I don't have any familiarity in this or how you would go about doing it.

Sorry, not the answer I imagine you wanted to hear, but best of luck with the career change. I'm currently changing out of Engineering to Teaching myself, so I know it can be difficult!

ReputationRep:
    My other half has gone back to retrain as an engineer - he had maths but not physics and hadn't gone to university. He'd worked years in the water industry though with lots of engineering experience so has been able to do a foundation degree to get onto an engineering course.

While your situation is definitely different, from his experience the engineering skills needed are very specific. It's worth while starting from scratch as you need a lot of applied physics and long equations. The students doing it with him had further maths and even they had trouble!

Not trying to put you off - he's loving it! Just email relevant courses and find out what their entry requirements are to see how you'll fit and what you need

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for coming back to me so quickly!

Sounds like an undergraduate course will be the way to go! I have time to re-learn my maths from college and find some physics course too so I will have a reasonable foundation.

Bit of a long journey ahead by the sounds of it.

Thanks again.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Oldstudentguy)
    Thanks for coming back to me so quickly!

Sounds like an undergraduate course will be the way to go! I have time to re-learn my maths from college and find some physics course too so I will have a reasonable foundation.

Bit of a long journey ahead by the sounds of it.

Thanks again.
    Only snag is you won't qualify for Student Finance for a undergrad degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.