The Student Room Group

What is your plan B if you don't meet your offers ?

I've just realised that if i don't meet my offers then I'm not too sure what I'm going to do. I could go somewhere through clearing but I don't like the idea of picking somewhere on a whim and ending up regretting it...
Is anyone else in this position ?
Original post by fefssdf
I've just realised that if i don't meet my offers then I'm not too sure what I'm going to do. I could go somewhere through clearing but I don't like the idea of picking somewhere on a whim and ending up regretting it...

I'm a uni student now, but I didn't really think about clearing at the time as I was happy to take a year out, resit some exams (and even take up some extra A-levels or get a job or something) and just apply again.

While clearing is useful and for some courses you can get into good universities, don't make any rash decisions or compromise anything - I had a friend who was hell bent on going to uni that year (having resat Year 12 already, and didn't want a 4th year of A-levels) and went to a really bad university (which isn't me being snobby and saying anything that isn't top 10 or RG or whatever, but one that was bottom of the leageu tables and had horrible reviews online and for good reason).so it's important to try and be sensible about these things.
Original post by fefssdf

While I'm not in the same situation now, I was last year. I dropped out for health reasons in my A2 year and at the time was averaging CCD in Computing, Maths and Chemistry, respectively. I had motivation to revise, but was too unwell to even get out of bed most days.

Whilst it's a bit late to be saying this now (and I don't know if it's relevant to you), one of the things that has been pivotal in maintaining my mental health this year is realising that not getting into your firm is okay. Not getting into your insurance is okay. I know it's frustrating to hear when you're so invested, but it's not the end of the world. Not to say it's not important (it sure as hell is to me!), but all I mean is there are alternative pathways. It depends how badly you do in relation to your offers for your possible options. There's the small chance that, if you miss them by perhaps one grade, then they may still accept you. HOWEVER, this relies on how many places they have left (if any) and I'd only ever hold onto this chance if you maybe have extenuating circumstances, etc. They have no obligation to accept you if you don't meet the grades.

Now I know that sounds daunting, but, like I said, there are a number of alternative pathways. You could do what I did and re-do A2 or just resit some modules, but being able to do this depends on whether your subjects still have June 2017 exams for your specification (as subjects are switching to exams after 2 years). Another option is to look in clearing. In order to enter clearing, you must have been released from any universities that have accepted you. You can then look at the UCAS clearing list, look at clearing lists in a number of newspapers or look for the clearing pages of specific universities (if you know what your 'backups' are). I'm not the best to ask about clearing as I didn't go that route, so I'd advise googling the subject if you're really worrying. One thing I think is useful to know about clearing, though, is that you can apply to a university that has rejected you, but you won't be able to apply for the same subject if it is available. You could try, but if you missed the grades and that department/subject has already rejected you, then it sort of defeats the object.

If you're really desperate to go to a certain university, you could try ringing up, especially perhaps if you were one or two UMS off a grade. TSR seems split on whether ringing up for a place is useful, but I suppose you could if you're desperate. If your subject offers a foundation degree and it's in clearing, you could inquire about it, but they could still say no. You've said you don't like picking places on a whim, so perhaps, if you're really worried, having a little list of 'backup' universities/alternative lower grade (relevant) subjects could be useful. At least then, if you found yourself in clearing on results day, you could quickly check your list and you'd already have a little idea of your options preemptively. The only problem with this plan, however, is that you could be unlucky and none of your 'backups' could be in clearing.

If you did get accepted somewhere, but on a slightly different degree (for example, if you wanted to do Music and got accepted for Music Technology), then I believe there is the option to switch to your desired degree once you're at university. Again, I'm not the best to ask about this, but I have read about people changing as soon as they arrive in first year, or, sometimes, switching over and re-doing their first year in the other subject.

There are probably a billion more options, but I'm just giving you my two cents and hopefully more people can. At this point you need to believe in yourself, which I know is hard, but you can only do your best and if you don't get the grades then it's not the end of the road, by a long shot.

Hope this helped! Good luck and I hope to see you posting after results day with your amazing results! :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by sophiebookley
While I'm not in the same situation now, I was last year. I dropped out for health reasons in my A2 year and at the time was averaging CCD in Computing, Maths and Chemistry, respectively. I had motivation to revise, but was too unwell to even get out of bed most days.

Whilst it's a bit late to be saying this now (and I don't know if it's relevant to you), one of the things that has been pivotal in maintaining my mental health this year is realising that not getting into your firm is okay. Not getting into your insurance is okay. I know it's frustrating to hear when you're so invested, but it's not the end of the world. Not to say it's not important (it sure as hell is to me!), but all I mean is there are alternative pathways. It depends how badly you do in relation to your offers for your possible options. There's the small chance that, if you miss them by perhaps one grade, then they may still accept you. HOWEVER, this relies on how many places they have left (if any) and I'd only ever hold onto this chance if you maybe have extenuating circumstances, etc. They have no obligation to accept you if you don't meet the grades.

Now I know that sounds daunting, but, like I said, there are a number of alternative pathways. You could do what I did and re-do A2 or just resit some modules, but being able to do this depends on whether your subjects still have June 2017 exams for your specification (as subjects are switching to exams after 2 years). Another option is to look in clearing. In order to enter clearing, you must have been released from any universities that have accepted you. You can then look at the UCAS clearing list, look at clearing lists in a number of newspapers or look for the clearing pages of specific universities (if you know what your 'backups' are). I'm not the best to ask about clearing as I didn't go that route, so I'd advise googling the subject if you're really worrying. One thing I think is useful to know about clearing, though, is that you can apply to a university that has rejected you, but you won't be able to apply for the same subject if it is available. You could try, but if you missed the grades and that department/subject has already rejected you, then it sort of defeats the object.

If you're really desperate to go to a certain university, you could try ringing up, especially perhaps if you were one or two UMS off a grade. TSR seems split on whether ringing up for a place is useful, but I suppose you could if you're desperate. If your subject offers a foundation degree and it's in clearing, you could inquire about it, but they could still say no. You've said you don't like picking places on a whim, so perhaps, if you're really worried, having a little list of 'backup' universities/alternative lower grade (relevant) subjects could be useful. At least then, if you found yourself in clearing on results day, you could quickly check your list and you'd already have a little idea of your options preemptively. The only problem with this plan, however, is that you could be unlucky and none of your 'backups' could be in clearing.

If you did get accepted somewhere, but on a slightly different degree (for example, if you wanted to do Music and got accepted for Music Technology), then I believe there is the option to switch to your desired degree once you're at university. Again, I'm not the best to ask about this, but I have read about people changing as soon as they arrive in first year, or, sometimes, switching over and re-doing their first year in the other subject.

There are probably a billion more options, but I'm just giving you my two cents and hopefully more people can. At this point you need to believe in yourself, which I know is hard, but you can only do your best and if you don't get the grades then it's not the end of the road, by a long shot.

Hope this helped! Good luck and I hope to see you posting after results day with your amazing results! :tongue:

wow, thank you so much for that really long response that really has calmed me down. I'm sorry to hear about you being ill during a2 thats pretty bad timing. I think the main reason I'm panicking is i know I'm going to narrowing miss the offer as its only one subject which i don't think I'm gonna get the grade in.
What you said about contextual factors got me thinking and i went on manchesters website and turns out my school has a contextual flag next to it for alevels meaning its consistently under average so i hope that might count in my favour but they want A*AB and thats pretty hard ;/.

I think I'm gonna try and visit some unis in the summer, and hopefully ill like one enough that asked for lower grades so i have a backup plan.

I looked on the exam board website and turns out you can retake all old spec level exams so I'm tempted to do that if i was a bit off, but i doubt the unis i wanna go to ( notts and manchester ) will accept retake people. thank you for the advice dude - what are you hoping to study / go ? xx
Original post by fefssdf
wow, thank you so much for that really long response that really has calmed me down. I'm sorry to hear about you being ill during a2 thats pretty bad timing. I think the main reason I'm panicking is i know I'm going to narrowing miss the offer as its only one subject which i don't think I'm gonna get the grade in.
What you said about contextual factors got me thinking and i went on manchesters website and turns out my school has a contextual flag next to it for alevels meaning its consistently under average so i hope that might count in my favour but they want A*AB and thats pretty hard ;/.

I think I'm gonna try and visit some unis in the summer, and hopefully ill like one enough that asked for lower grades so i have a backup plan.

I looked on the exam board website and turns out you can retake all old spec level exams so I'm tempted to do that if i was a bit off, but i doubt the unis i wanna go to ( notts and manchester ) will accept retake people. thank you for the advice dude - what are you hoping to study / go ? xx

No problem, I'm so glad it helped! I was worried because it was a mammoth post! I'm hoping to go to York for Computer Science. What are you going to study?

And yeah they do take your college achievement into account, but, again, it unfortunately depends on if they have spaces left. If they need 90 students and get 70 who meet the grades, then they start looking at people who were the closest and then go from there.

In regards to universities accepting retake people, I applied for York in my first A2 year, had an interview that went amazingly and got a reduced offer of ABB. When I was applying again this year, they gave me another offer with an interview at first, but, as soon as I emailed and explained I had already had one, they gave me my original offer. So it's always worth asking if you're going to redo exams and reapply, if you're unsure. I'd be very surprised if a university turned away somebody because they reapplied. Maybe for the likes of Medicine, but even still. The only thing to keep in mind is that it's a new application, so whilst you can reuse your previous statement and stuff, your old offers are gone and, if grade requirements change, you're subject to the new ones. :smile:

I'm in a similar situation to you, to be honest! I need ABB and I'm worried I'll get AAC/ABC and miss my offer. I hate Chemistry! :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending