Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my gf's family is quite well off and own a few properties, which looking on estate agents sites I have estimated total value of around £1.5 million, of which my gf would inherit around £800k worth.

Plus my gf works in a pretty high paid job (like top 2% in the country). She's been talking about marriage for a while now, but I'd always shrugged the discussion off, but now I'm thinking maybe I should reconsider.

So I'm wondering to guys out there, if you were in my shoes is this something that would sway your decision to get married or not?

ReputationRep:
    I would if the bride was good looking

ReputationRep:
    What are you waiting for loooool

(Original post by Nidhoggr)
    She's been talking about marriage for a while now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    I would if the bride was good looking
    I would do it regardless. Then kill her parents and divorce her for 50%.

ReputationRep:
    So my gf's family is quite well off and own a few properties, which looking on estate agents sites I have estimated total value of around £1.5 million, of which my gf would inherit around £800k worth.

Plus my gf works in a pretty high paid job (like top 2% in the country). She's been talking about marriage for a while now, but I'd always shrugged the discussion off, but now I'm thinking maybe I should reconsider.

So I'm wondering to guys out there, if you were in my shoes is this something that would sway your decision to get married or not?
    I would only marry her if I loved her. It doesn't really matter about the money, but if money is your first priority, then I would advise against doing so.

Not solely for money, no.

ReputationRep:
    Dont marry at all. Win win situation

ReputationRep:
    If this was Game of Thrones, you'd be slain for even asking such a question.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a proper cuck, bet you're her *****.

ReputationRep:

I tend to get attracted to girls that are same/poorer than my family. They tend to be humble.
    I wouldnt marry a girl for money at all. I prefer to be a man and earn it myself, and she can earn hers if she wants.
    If your girl is a nice person and you like her, then marry her. Dont make the mistake of depending on her money, be a man and earn some yourself. Her money shouldnt be a problem if you like each other alot and trust each other.
    Do you like her, trust her and see a future with her? If yes, then consider marrying.

ReputationRep:
    Well I would say not really, coz not being cocky but my family is already wealthy enough (even though still considered poor compared to many other medium/high class families) and I have no reasons to depend on my gf's family except it's sth very special (some kinda relationship that would be useful), but anw as a man, I have always been thinking of earning and living by myself not to depend on anyone even my family. The best thing parents can offer is advices and experiences.

I tend to find a girl who share the same soul, same things with me, who can understand and encourage me with my ambitions, ofc money is important in life, but it's not enough. In return, I would respect her and love her as much as I can. For sure, she should not be too poor or too different from me....otherwise it MAY cause some potential problems, misunderstandings...about life styles, behaviours...in future. But as I said, if you 2 truly love each other, then every problem is nothing

ReputationRep:
    "I have estimated total value of around £1.5 million, of which my gf would inherit around £800k worth."

Sounds like OP has a whole murder plot planned

ReputationRep:
    Urh, money shouldn't come into marriage. If you love her and want to be with her then yes, but if you don't and just doing it for money, hell no. Money doesn't create long term happiness.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you work in London and are not particularly well off then marrying a partner with those sort of means does open up possibilities like having a house and starting a family, whereas otherwise if you are with a partner in similar circumstances then the best you can really hope for is to move out of a room in a shared house to rent a small one bed with your combined income but that doesn't really give the space or security for thinking about a family.

So I wouldn't make a decision just on money but it would open up more possibilities for the future.

However I'd be more keen on it if it was a case of a woman with a high salary than a woman with rich family as there's always the risk that you end up trading the money for being in hock to her family and the lifestyle they want / the expectations of you they have for their daughter etc, rather than if it is her alone who is bringing in the money then its more likely to be a joint decision between you without outsiders involved.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.