Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moving into private accommodation from student halls. Advice needed. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Essentially me and my girlfriend are currently second year students who are looking to rent a flat for next year and are looking for advice. We both work part-time and get loans so money isn't really an issue. Am i right in thinking we can move into any flat as long as we get a guarantor or is there something else to consider?

Also how do we go about this? Just asking the landlord if they will accept students or do we just ask to sign with a guarantor.

Any help/advice/tips appreciated.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceTea)
    Hi guys,

Essentially me and my girlfriend are currently second year students who are looking to rent a flat for next year and are looking for advice. We both work part-time and get loans so money isn't really an issue. Am i right in thinking we can move into any flat as long as we get a guarantor or is there something else to consider?

Also how do we go about this? Just asking the landlord if they will accept students or do we just ask to sign with a guarantor.

Any help/advice/tips appreciated.

x
    Yeah, that's all I had to do. I rented a whole house with my mates and all we had to do was have our guarantors sign the contract while we paid the rent. They didn't really have any restrictions on whether we were students or not although I do get why some landlords would ask. You just have to have a guarantor since you're still students and they require someone to foot the bill if you can't pay when the rent is due. BTW if you're an international student they may ask for a certain amount of months to be paid in advance as well as proof you're a student. The proof of being a student is mainly for council tax purposes as you're exempt as a student.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.