Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I remember things that have happened YEARS ago. I remember I was 10 years old and I dissapointed my family a lot, obviously over the years everyone moved on but inside me I fear - do they still remember? it was the biggest deal but at the time it was a huge problem. I'm 19 now and these kinds of worries get to me every single day.

I can remember dumb things I said at a party last week or when I was mean to someone 3 years ago or when I embarrassed myself 6 years ago it's like every regret I have comes back to me and I feel ashamed ... I hope no one remembers. I am constantly stressed about mistakes .. big and small.
    help?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I can understand what you're feeling. What you're describing sounds similar to what I've been told is due to GAD or Generalised Anxiety Disorder (which I also suffer from). I am also extremely self conscious of making mistakes and it affects my social life a lot.

Is there anybody you can talk to for help? Parents, friends, your GP, a counselor? I know people telling you the obvious "Stop worrying!" won't help, but maybe if you spoke to someone they could recommend techniques for de-stressing. Alternatively you could email or ring somebody. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-...helplines.aspx

Feel free to ask me any other questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I remember things that have happened YEARS ago. I remember I was 10 years old and I dissapointed my family a lot, obviously over the years everyone moved on but inside me I fear - do they still remember? it was the biggest deal but at the time it was a huge problem. I'm 19 now and these kinds of worries get to me every single day.

I can remember dumb things I said at a party last week or when I was mean to someone 3 years ago or when I embarrassed myself 6 years ago it's like every regret I have comes back to me and I feel ashamed ... I hope no one remembers. I am constantly stressed about mistakes .. big and small.
    help?

Sounds like GAD.

Perhaps research OCD and ADHD too.

ReputationRep:
    Children (and adults) can make a lot of mistakes. Your guilty upbringing, possible (social) anxiety, OCD tendencies and recent mistakes can draw you into that world where you ruminate on your perceived wrongdoings.

Is it so important to know that they remember for you to redeem yourself? Trying to read their minds isn't helping you to fix what is in your mind.

You are right in that by forgiving yourself you can be free of your guilt. Can you add the epilogue into each of those "videos" that you replay and give them the conclusion that you want?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.