The Student Room Group

80% of British Muslims...

Think themselves Muslim first and British second. This compares with about 40% in the US. Does anyone think this a problem? The stats were in this week's Economist. I cant find the graph/analysis on the site since the turnover of info on it is so fast. It also said somthing about only around 50% of Muslims thinking women are better treated here (the UK) than in 'the Muslim world'.

Some retired American General, I think hes the Fox News military analyst, also said that it would be perhaps wiser to target Britian given its got so many pissed of Muslims in than places like Iraq. He was obviously being a muppet, but it seems the segregation of the communities is palpable.

It also relates to the question of national identity and the bizarre concept of Britishness. Now ideologically, the idea of a 'Britian day' is a bit pathetic to me. The point of Britishness is that its a constantly moving concept that cant be defined. As a nation we've sort of just progressed and more and more stuff has been poured into the metling pot rather than having specific instances of universal identification (such as the 4th of July). But practically, it looks like somthing needs to be done to put the concept of 'mainstream society' above other ethnic socities and say that this is the one people need to aspire to, or at the very least become part of.

The thing to admire about America is that everyone is so commited, almost unthinkingly commited, to the idea of America. Everyone talks of values, of 'liberty, justice, equality' ect. In reality, you could debate whether America even has these attributes: they had slavery and there was a civil war over stopping it, there's Gwantanamo and so on. But regardless of all this, so many people still genuinely beleive in these values, even if their existance is imaginary, and are thus bound by them. Practically that's good for a nation, but ideologically its a bit flawed. But avoiding segregation and thus genuine social dvisions are highly practical issues. So, do you think we should sacrifise the ideological highground of just letting people be what they want to be and force everyone to be British?

Scroll to see replies

I consider myself many others things before I consider myself British.
Reply 2
Incidentally, the majority of English people don't consider themselves to be English, but British?

I don't see how it can in any way be seen as a problem.
Reply 3
This is a complicated issue which isn't helped by the way it gets hijacked by ethnonationalists and other wrongheaded and painfully unsophisticated ‘arguments’, like those of the BNP. Part of the problem is that, ironically, a longstanding culture of racism, which became particularly prominent in the 1970s with ‘Paki Bashing’ and the like, has successfully alienated many non-white people in Britain to the extent that they, not surprisingly, reject the importance of an identity which they have been so consistently told isn’t theirs anyway; we’ve probably all heard the vile phrase “ain’t no black in the union jack” but unless you’ve had it chanted at you as a non-white person it would be difficult to know how this might impact on one’s sense of Britishness. So, we have racism and its psychological and social impact to thank for the ambivalence many feel towards British identity. There are other issues, however, and Islam as a global religion is going through its own process of negotiation with national identities across the globe (while Christianity has generally been subsumed within nationalistic identities, Islam is still getting to grips with this). Islam is also meeting the forces of globalisation with difficulty a conservative, patriarchal culture (as Christianity was, and in some places still is) doesn’t easily cope with liberal and pluralistic global culture.

How do we put things right? For a start we need to speak up against racism and recognise that Britishness is not about having a white skin or worshipping the Christian God. As a society we've gone a long way (thank you NF and BNP) to encourage non-white people to hate Britian, even though they are British, and so we have to go a long way to undo this harm. We also need to handle the issue of religion with some sensitivity; squealing our distaste for Islam needs to be replaced by our promoting of moderation and pluralism. We need to promote and engage in the positives, not simply repeat the negatives.

Visit your local Mela this summer! That would be a start.
Consie
Think themselves Muslim first and British second. This compares with about 40% in the US. Does anyone think this a problem? The stats were in this week's Economist. I cant find the graph/analysis on the site since the turnover of info on it is so fast. It also said somthing about only around 50% of Muslims thinking women are better treated here (the UK) than in 'the Muslim world'.

Some retired American General, I think hes the Fox News military analyst, also said that it would be perhaps wiser to target Britian given its got so many pissed of Muslims in than places like Iraq. He was obviously being a muppet, but it seems the segregation of the communities is palpable.

It also relates to the question of national identity and the bizarre concept of Britishness. Now ideologically, the idea of a 'Britian day' is a bit pathetic to me. The point of Britishness is that its a constantly moving concept that cant be defined. As a nation we've sort of just progressed and more and more stuff has been poured into the metling pot rather than having specific instances of universal identification (such as the 4th of July). But practically, it looks like somthing needs to be done to put the concept of 'mainstream society' above other ethnic socities and say that this is the one people need to aspire to, or at the very least become part of.

The thing to admire about America is that everyone is so commited, almost unthinkingly commited, to the idea of America. Everyone talks of values, of 'liberty, justice, equality' ect. In reality, you could debate whether America even has these attributes: they had slavery and there was a civil war over stopping it, there's Gwantanamo and so on. But regardless of all this, so many people still genuinely beleive in these values, even if their existance is imaginary, and are thus bound by them. Practically that's good for a nation, but ideologically its a bit flawed. But avoiding segregation and thus genuine social dvisions are highly practical issues. So, do you think we should sacrifise the ideological highground of just letting people be what they want to be and force everyone to be British?

A rather brythonic looking spelling, no?
Reply 5
Fox News are part of News Corporation. 'nuff said. You're comparing it with America, in which citizens have always had a badly overinflated sense of their own national importance. And in Britain, very few people these days are genuinely proud to be British. I would put a lot of things before 'Britishness'. Not religion, because I'm an atheist, but if that's what people believe, what's wrong with that? I'd be interested to know the number of Roman Catholics who consider themselves RC before British. I suspect it's at least as high.
ForeverIsMyName

Ditto

and logically speaking, if i was religious, and believed in heaven and hell etc i would think it entirely logical to think of myself ina religious/spiritual sense than by the constraints of which country i was born into.
American Muslims are much wealthier, and therefore have a very different understanding of their religion. Their social position allows them to be well integrated into the American aristocracy and therefore they tend to follow an Islam that seems to be much more in touch with what the Middle and Upper classes were following in the Middle East in the 1970s.
Reply 8
Cage
I would put a lot of things before 'Britishness'. Not religion, because I'm an atheist, but if that's what people believe, what's wrong with that? I'd be interested to know the number of Roman Catholics who consider themselves RC before British. I suspect it's at least as high.

I don't think it's a valid comparison. The issue with this sense of being "A Muslim first, and a citizen of a given country second", is the issue of loyalty isn't it?

The reason most Muslims opposed the Iraq war, and campaigned so strongly against it, was precisely because it is a Muslim-majority country, and they felt solidarity with Muslims they percieved as being under attack, even though the majority of British Muslims are not of Arabic descent, still less of Iraqi descent. That's the point, for Muslims, often their religion transcends loyalty to an ethnic group or country.

This kind of situation isn't found replicated (not in the same way, anyway) amongst Roman Catholics or other Christians, they don't normally take positions on foreign policy issues based on whether it is Catholic country or not.
Agamemnon
The reason most Muslims opposed the Iraq war, and campaigned so strongly against it, was precisely because it is a Muslim-majority country, and they felt solidarity with Muslims they percieved as being under attack, even though the majority of British Muslims are not of Arabic descent, still less of Iraqi descent. That's the point, for Muslims, often their religion transcends loyalty to an ethnic group or country.

How can you be so sure though? There were many who felt it was simply an illegal invasion. Unless of course you have the results of a reputable survey which shows a strong majority opposing the war because it was foreign action on their 'Muslim brothers'.
Reply 10
ForeverIsMyName

So do I. Seems odd to try and measure nationality and religion in this way. I consider myself Christian first and English second. What's the big deal?
I don't see how it can in any way be seen as a problem.

95% of British Muslims could declare themselves full Al Qaeda members and you wouldn't see it as a problem.
JonathanH
95% of British Muslims could declare themselves full Al Qaeda members and you wouldn't see it as a problem.

Calm your nerves Jonathan. We can all be civil and tranquil in our debating (unless we are dealing with Neighbours)
SolInvictus
Calm your nerves Jonathan. We can all be civil and tranquil in our debating (unless we are dealing with Neighbours)

Just pointing out the real value of 37927's views on the issue.
Statistics.... Tut!
Reply 15
biggie-n
How can you be so sure though? There were many who felt it was simply an illegal invasion. Unless of course you have the results of a reputable survey which shows a strong majority opposing the war because it was foreign action on their 'Muslim brothers'.

You make a fair point - I may be wrong about why a disproportionate amount (when compared to the general British population) of British Muslims opposed the war (you're not going to dispute that are you?).

I'll have a look for surveys, but I doubt one will exist which will be thought to be representative enough or accurate enough to prove this point either way.
Agamemnon
You make a fair point - I may be wrong about why a disproportionate amount (when compared to the general British population) of British Muslims opposed the war (you're not going to dispute that are you?).
Nope. I also think you are partly right about the 'brethren' issue, it appears to be stronger in Islam than in other religions.
Reply 17
I think it's a very good thing. These people are far more likely to be interested in their individual liberties and less willing to be strung along by the government in the name of the 'national interest'.

The more people who do not associate with the state, the better. It ought to always be held in suspicion or thinly veiled contempt.
Incidentally, the majority of English people don't consider themselves to be English, but British?

You've got that the wrong way round.
Reply 19
The more people who do not associate with the state, the better. It ought to always be held in suspicion or thinly veiled contempt. Lib North.

I can just picture you Lib, combat pants, sniper-scope in hand, crouching in your shed ('look out post') at the bottom of the garden, peering through the hole you drilled for 'recon' duty, waiting for the hand of 'Big Government' to arrive and force you to pay those evil taxes.

You're funny, seriously, but maybe you should, I dunno, get out more?

Latest

Trending

Trending