Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any experience with tattooing over scarring?

I have some pretty bad scars and I would like to cover them. They're on my inside left forearm and are about 5 years old.

I've tried looking on the internet for before & after photos to see how effective it is but I can't really find that many.

My dermatologist told me that I could get skin colored tattoo ink in the actual scar to change the color from white into less obvious skin colored. I'm not that keen on this and can't find any pictures on google.

Advice?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    From experience and what I've heard it hurts a lot more than normal skin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    From experience and what I've heard it hurts a lot more than normal skin.
    I don't suppose you know if it hurts more/less than laser removal? Because that hurt like a mofo.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I don't suppose you know if it hurts more/less than laser removal? Because that hurt like a mofo.
    No idea but I hazard a guess at less.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen some beautiful scar coverups while I've been looking for one to cover up my own scar. My advice would be to go talk to a good tattooist, someone who has worked with scars before and see what they recommend. Just googling "tattoo scar cover" brings up loads of beautiful tattoos

It might hurt a little more than a normal tattoo as you're going over damaged tissue - even getting a tattoo coverup hurts more than normal as the skin is already damaged. I've had two coverups and they weren't too bad, I suppose the questions is how badly do you want them covering?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.