fairy0018
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm studying Frankenstein, The White Devil and The Bloody Chamber for the AQA elements of the gothic exam, anyone got any useful quotes from any of these texts?

Thanks!
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by fairy0018)
I'm studying Frankenstein, The White Devil and The Bloody Chamber for the AQA elements of the gothic exam, anyone got any useful quotes from any of these texts?

Thanks!
Hi! I moved this to the English forum - you're more likely to get an answer here you could also look at TSR's learning resources - here are the ones for the Gothic.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by fairy0018)

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure you already know the main Gothic conventions in literature so I suggest you reread these texts and skim through them. I would suggest skimming through chapter summaries and then look at some chapters.

I've only read Frankenstein. So, for Gothic conventions would be reason vs emotion. A really good excerpt would be when the Monster is hiding in the woods near the cottage, observing and learning about the world; it's history, language, culture, humanity, etc. He thinks that by learning all these things, the family living in the cottage would accept him. However, when he confronts the family, they lash out because of his hideous form and he kills all of them family members in the cottage.

Said above, this is great for looking at elements of the Gothic in terms of the binary opposition of rational vs irrational, beast vs human, knowledge vs faith etc. There's loads of Gothic binary oppositions that you can look at from that part of the novel.

I have no idea how or what you need to do for your exam, but I assume since it's three texts,y ou don't need to have a bank of quotes from each text. I suggest you focus on three conventions per text and get a few quotes if you're running out of time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (62)
17.17%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (102)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
37.95%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.3%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.32%

Watched Threads