The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official imperial college london 2017 applicants

Scroll to see replies

I have an interview on that day for Chemistry as well!!

GOOD LUCK for us both!!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Hi. I am applying for medical bioscience too. When did you apply and what is your predicted grade??
Original post by bluegirl64
Yep so I heard back on the 14th December and the offer was AAA :smile:

Hi. When did you apply medical bioscience and would you mind telling me your predicted grade
Original post by TigerDad
That's startling - my son was also rejected this week, without even an interview, actual grades A* Maths, A* Physics, A Chemistry, A Further Maths. Imperial appear to have lost their minds.

Why on earth would they be rejecting the very top candidates and yet offering much lower grades to others?

Clearly because they aren't the very top?
Original post by Chester0.0
Hi. When did you apply medical bioscience and would you mind telling me your predicted grade

Hi - my predicted grades were A*AAA and I applied on the 19th October
I wouldn't worry about them taking a long time to reply - even if the date they said you should hear by has passed. They quite like to keep people waiting... :redface: I'd only worry once many people start getting their decisions on UCAS (though also remember that they tend to do them in batches - and obviously it also depends on when you had your interview).

It does vary within departments as well - I applied for chemistry and waited 2 weeks & 5 days to hear back after interview. Someone I know applied for an engineering course and heard back on the same day as me, except it was 3 days after their interview :angry:.
That's startling - my son was also rejected this week, without even an interview, actual grades A* Maths, A* Physics, A Chemistry, A Further Maths. Imperial appear to have lost their minds.

Why on earth would they be rejecting the very top candidates and yet offering much lower grades to others?

The grades are not what define what a top student is throughout the admission process. Nearly everyone who applies to imperial will have top grades or they will be more than likely wasting a choice.

The students personal statement is much more vital in differentiating between top students and students with good grades. If you have done research into your chosen subject at placements at university this will be much more appealing to admission tutors than a grade in a subject which was not required for the course.

Also getting references from professionals in the field that you are going into will also boost your application.

I am assuming that your son did not have much extra curricular activities on his personal statement or the personal statement seemed very generic.

hope this helps
Original post by woodworks
I got my online test for computing, and my friend got an offer for geology (for Imperial). He got his offer from UCL as well.

hey!

just wondering, when did you send your application for computing?

I sent mine a bit late, so I'm not sure when I should expect any response. (mid November)

thanks (:
Original post by turtleguy
hey!

just wondering, when did you send your application for computing?

I sent mine a bit late, so I'm not sure when I should expect any response. (mid November)

thanks (:

Sent mine right before Oxbridge deadlines; I think they have set Skype interview days so it takes a while for international students to hear back.
Original post by jax123456
The grades are not what define what a top student is throughout the admission process. Nearly everyone who applies to imperial will have top grades or they will be more than likely wasting a choice.

The students personal statement is much more vital in differentiating between top students and students with good grades. If you have done research into your chosen subject at placements at university this will be much more appealing to admission tutors than a grade in a subject which was not required for the course.

Also getting references from professionals in the field that you are going into will also boost your application.

I am assuming that your son did not have much extra curricular activities on his personal statement or the personal statement seemed very generic.

hope this helps

I would be interested to know what course both these guys applied for.
I am not sure that much weight is normally given to the personal statement. I know (personally) two maths admissions tutors at top universities and NEITHER look at the personal statement when making offers. There are just too many applications and not enough time. They are only considered on extreme borderline cases and
that is often only on results day!
I wonder if the rejections were more about the subject they chose (maths doesn't like a gap year for example) . They would be slightly unusual applying post A level so perhaps they stood out because of that ?
But I do feel for you (another parent lurker here!) - really tough when your kids
have already achieved higher than others are being offered!
Hi guys,

I got A*A*A*A for maths, chemistry, physics, fm.

I havent heard anything, no interveiw or rejection.

I applied for physics, is it possible to get in if you dont get an interview? And as an international applicant when can I expect a decision?

Thanks!
Original post by goodadvice12
I am not sure that much weight is normally given to the personal statement. I know (personally) two maths admissions tutors at top universities and NEITHER look at the personal statement when making offers. There are just too many applications and not enough time. They are only considered on extreme borderline cases and
I wonder if the rejections were more about the subject they chose (maths doesn't like a gap year for example) . They would be slightly unusual applying post A level so perhaps they stood out because of that ?
But I do feel for you (another parent lurker here!) - really tough when your kids

hey i know for a fact that in top universities, like UCL and oxford, personal statements and references together will be second in line for deciding whether to move candidates into the next stage of the admissions process. obviously grades in the relevant subjects will be first.

Also gap year students are at an advantage currently. This is because As levels are not being taken as frequently so the unis cant really judge someone down because their school didn't offer them an As.
Original post by Brett1
Hi guys,

I got A*A*A*A for maths, chemistry, physics, fm.

I havent heard anything, no interveiw or rejection.

I applied for physics, is it possible to get in if you dont get an interview? And as an international applicant when can I expect a decision?

Thanks!

Hey I applied for physics too and also haven't heard anything after they asked for my ums scores. Did they ask you for your ums too and if so what was your average score?

What course was he rejected from?
Original post by timster32
Clearly because they aren't the very top?

Offers are based on 3 A levels, so I don't see how having 3 A* is "not at the top" - how would you define a top candidate then?
Original post by goodadvice12

Subject Mechanical Engineering
Original post by Mumofboys
Subject Mechanical Engineering

Unfortunately teachers these days are willing to give students predicted grades of straight A*'s even when they only achieved B's at AS level. This causes an influx of applications to the top universities, meaning there simply isn't enough room for everyone with the required predicted (or actual, in your son's case) grades at interview days.

It is likely that your son lost out due to his personal statement, although it is rather unfair that he got an instant rejection where others who haven't yet completed their A-levels got interview invitations.
Original post by Len Goodman
Unfortunately teachers these days are willing to give students predicted grades of straight A*'s even when they only achieved B's at AS level. This causes an influx of applications to the top universities, meaning there simply isn't enough room for everyone with the required predicted (or actual, in your son's case) grades at interview days.

It is likely that your son lost out due to his personal statement, although it is rather unfair that he got an instant rejection where others who haven't yet completed their A-levels got interview invitations.

I have been told many times that taking a gap year hinders likelihood of getting into top universities
Offers are based on 3 A levels, so I don't see how having 3 A* is "not at the top" - how would you define a top candidate then?

what were your sons extra curricular activities if you don't mind me asking? This is really bizarre I would have thought an interview would have been given at least.

Personal statement and then interview if the person had one, clearly the person is very smart on paper but if they can't express that in speech, obviously they wouldn't be given an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending