Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm from Germany and got two offers I am currently considering to take:

MSc Accounting and Finance at LSE
    and
    MSc Finance at St Andrews

The problem why I am not instantly taking LSE although their reputation is obviously higher is, that I do not have any significant relevant work experience in the fields I am planning to work after my graduation (either in IBD or strategy consulting) - I just have an 5-month internship in a big4 consulting firm.

So my fear is that I will end up with my LSE degree in a tier 2/3 job I could also get with St Andrews - which is much cheaper (and maybe nicer to live with the studies).

Do you think that this scenario is mostly likely to happen?
    And if so, would you recommend even then to study at LSE because of the long-term brand and networking value?
    Or would you recommend to study at St Andrews because of the above mentioned scenario?

Thank you very much for your opinion in advance!

Best regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GermanBan)
    Hey guys,

I'm from Germany and got two offers I am currently considering to take:

MSc Accounting and Finance at LSE
    and
    MSc Finance at St Andrews

The problem why I am not instantly taking LSE although their reputation is obviously higher is, that I do not have any significant relevant work experience in the fields I am planning to work after my graduation (either in IBD or strategy consulting) - I just have an 5-month internship in a big4 consulting firm.

So my fear is that I will end up with my LSE degree in a tier 2/3 job I could also get with St Andrews - which is much cheaper (and maybe nicer to live with the studies).

Do you think that this scenario is mostly likely to happen?
    And if so, would you recommend even then to study at LSE because of the long-term brand and networking value?
    Or would you recommend to study at St Andrews because of the above mentioned scenario?

Thank you very much for your opinion in advance!

Best regards
    Hello,

I am in a similar situation to you (LSE MSc Finance though) and only 2 summer internships which aren't very relevant to what I want to do.

Although I see your logic, I have opted for the LSE route. For both of us to achieve a 'high finance' job, the only route in is to convert an internship. Obviously, you are much more likely to obtain that internship with LSE brand name/networking than you are St Andrews.

Essentially the logic can be flipped on his head. For us that need to get our foot in the door, its necessary to go to a top uni, in order to get that internship/network. For those who ALREADY have experience in the sector, it might even be said its less important to attend a top university, as they already have that valuable experience.

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    You will have more opps at LSE with regards to campus recruiting, company visits/open days, career fairs and presentations.I think IBs and consulting are the most popular destinations at LSE. It is easier to network with some smaller firms when in London.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.