Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I am in my first year of Uni and I enjoy some aspects of the course. My first few assignments of the year went well, where I scored between high 60's and 80%. But the past two assignments I have received I have scored mid 40's. Obviously it's 'first year, and doesn't count' but it is still upsetting to get such poor grades after trying hard! Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to improve and get back up to the level I was at just a couple of months ago, or has anyone been in this position before?! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carly17)
    So, I am in my first year of Uni and I enjoy some aspects of the course. My first few assignments of the year went well, where I scored between high 60's and 80%. But the past two assignments I have received I have scored mid 40's. Obviously it's 'first year, and doesn't count' but it is still upsetting to get such poor grades after trying hard! Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to improve and get back up to the level I was at just a couple of months ago, or has anyone been in this position before?! Thanks.
    What did the feedback for the bad assignments say?

You need to identify why they were bad before trying to improve

ReputationRep:
    Get all the feedback you can to find out. It's possible they were more lenient at the start.
    The more feedback, going over with tutors the better. Look at past unit guides and reports and find out what they look for.
    First year is the time to be learning and figuring this stuff out before it counts. 40s to me suggests you missed something crucial, should be easy enough to remedy!

ReputationRep:
    in my first year I did really good in the first couple and then had a couple of bad grades... most people seemed to

I think they are kind in their marking of the first assignments and then try and kick you into gear... if you're worried I would ask your tutor if you could have some additional feedback so you can improve
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello

Well, luckily (as you've stated) 'first year doesn't count'. I hate that phrase but it's some what true - it's true it doesn't count in the aspect that your grades don't count towards anything but you still have to pass to reach second year. I think first year is good because it allows you to see the level you are working on and prepare you and your working style for second year.

It's unfortunate that your latter couple of assignments where lower on the marking scale but it's not the end of the world - it happens to all of us. It's disheartening, I agree but it's good because it can help you. I go to Student Services/Advice at your university - they usually have services where you can talk through your assignments - or arrange a meeting with your lecturer and discuss your assignment and see where you're going wrong or need improvement. This will help you create some goals to aim for. However, you could always compare the feedback from your first couple of assignments to the latter and see where things different or see if your writing style differs?

There are plenty of options to pursue! Don't let it get to you too much!

ReputationRep:
    just try harder next year I used to send a draft (second or third) to the lecturer asking what I need to do to improve it before submission DO NOT ASK THEM TO MARK IT. That usually got me the mark I wanted do that next year and you should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everyone for replying. I have been to see the tutors of the modules that I have not done so well in and they have given me advice on how to approach similar assignments in second year. In one of the assignments I was 'too general around the subject' and in the other I was 'too descriptive' therefore, I think I just need to get the balance right on what I am doing. I have also been to see Student Services, and they have advised me on what to do in future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.