Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm finishing GCSE Biology this year, and I don't think I'm good enough to take it at A-Level, and I can't really change my choices, but I really enjoy it and I think it's a shame that I won't be able to learn anymore biology in 6th form or uni.
    If anyone has any ideas about how I could keep learning biology but not take it for A-Level, or if anyone could tell me how difficult biology at A-Level is, then I'd really appreciate it. (I normally get As in biology but sometimes I can get A*s or Bs, it depends)
    Thank you!!!!
    (Also sorry if I put this in the wrong thread lol)

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting mostly As in biology you're more than good enough at it to take it to A Level! Most colleges and sixth forms require a B in the subjects you want to take for A Level, so you'll be absolutely fine. I got an A* in three of the GCSE subjects I took through to A Level but an A in chemistry and I find it absolutely fine now, of course it's flipping hard but all A Levels are.

I am doing A Level biology now and I love it - it's a lot of work in that it's very content heavy but concept wise I don't find it that difficult as long as you work hard on learning the material and mastering exam technique (which your teacher will help with). I do the CCEA exam board so can't comment on other specifications but I found mine really engaging and interesting.

Have more faith in yourself if you're still not keen on taking the A Level, consider Science related BTECs or A Level Applied Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethaaaaany)
    If you're getting mostly As in biology you're more than good enough at it to take it to A Level! Most colleges and sixth forms require a B in the subjects you want to take for A Level, so you'll be absolutely fine. I got an A* in three of the GCSE subjects I took through to A Level but an A in chemistry and I find it absolutely fine now, of course it's flipping hard but all A Levels are.

I am doing A Level biology now and I love it - it's a lot of work in that it's very content heavy but concept wise I don't find it that difficult as long as you work hard on learning the material and mastering exam technique (which your teacher will help with). I do the CCEA exam board so can't comment on other specifications but I found mine really engaging and interesting.

Have more faith in yourself if you're still not keen on taking the A Level, consider Science related BTECs or A Level Applied Science.
    That sounds really good!! And it sounds promising that you only need Bs!! I'll look more in to the exam board that does biology at my next school and go from there! (cuz if I get ocr its over for me lol)
    Thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    I do OCR Biology at AS Level (I got As for my GCSE sciences if that helps give perspective) and I don't think that you need A*s to do well in Biology. Honestly, if you have a passion for Biology and are willing to revise, you will do well. In order to do AS Biology, I really think that you should have at least a B at GCSE (which are the requirements at my sixth form) and an interest in the subject because frankly, that's what's really going to get you through A Levels. A Levels are more about revision throughout the year compared to cramming in everything at the last minute, I guess that's why lots of people find it hard. Good luck with your choices and I wish you the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drinktheoceans)
    I do OCR Biology at AS Level (I got As for my GCSE sciences if that helps give perspective) and I don't think that you need A*s to do well in Biology. Honestly, if you have a passion for Biology and are willing to revise, you will do well. In order to do AS Biology, I really think that you should have at least a B at GCSE (which are the requirements at my sixth form) and an interest in the subject because frankly, that's what's really going to get you through A Levels. A Levels are more about revision throughout the year compared to cramming in everything at the last minute, I guess that's why lots of people find it hard. Good luck with your choices and I wish you the best.
    Ideally I'd like to only do biology up to AS too, but the school I'm going to only offers up to A2, and while I do really like biology, I want go into languages and translation, so I'm pretty torn between English lit and biology now aha. I think probably need to think about it and ask my current teacher about it.
    Thank you!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.