Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm just about to do my final exam for my second year. And I will fail it. Along with 6 other modules out of 8 that I have took this year. I need to pass the other 6 in august resits which I may or may not get first attempt at. If I don't if I do pass them the marks will be capped at 40.

My second year is 40% of my final degree grade. That said I do think I will enjoy third year far more than second year as there are no compulsory modules for me to hate on - only optional ones that all seem far far more interesting than the stuff I've been forced to entertain throughout my second and first year.

I just don't know at this point if A) I'm even going to be able to pass those exams in august, although it is possible because I've actually got quite a bit of revision done for them all already - I'm basically just slow on keeping myself updating with the content I need to learn so come exam time I didn't know enough hence the fails, yet by now I do. I kept revising the topics after my exam with the hopes of doing a resit and passing that lol.

This is actually my third year at university though as I re-sat my year last year because I failed it. Yet this year I'm doing worse. Last year I had mitigating circumstances of depression.

Now I don't feel the depressive symptoms that pertain to my own person, but I still have an absolute lack of motivation towards my university work and the thought of revising for these august resits is painful to bear. Maybe I'm just being optimistic in thinking the next year will go okay. Realistically a 2:1 even seems unlikely and I feel getting a 2:2 after all this will be achievement enough, but is it really worth it? What if I just fail next year too?

So... My question is what do I do? Do I just drop out of university and go get a job. Do I try and graduate with as best grade as possible even if it means potentially wasting another £9000 on another year of university for no degree because I fail it or is that too risky?

What about doing my third year part-time while I get some work? I want to do security work and will have my SIA license within a few weeks. I think it might serve as a nice distraction that will keep me motivated to do the degree. Less exposure to the degree per week keeps me interested in it. My mum thinks this is just wishful ******** though and I will just get further distracted from doing my degree work in the first place...

I find it very hard to come to terms with the fact that I've already wasted £20k on this degree and if I drop out now, I literally have just wasted 20 grand. That is very difficult to come to terms with and I feel very hateful towards myself when I consider that. But maybe dropping out now is the best option and those emotions are blinding me from seeing that. But how can I deal with not being able to bear such a thought?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    So I'm just about to do my final exam for my second year. And I will fail it. Along with 6 other modules out of 8 that I have took this year. I need to pass the other 6 in august resits which I may or may not get first attempt at. If I don't if I do pass them the marks will be capped at 40.

My second year is 40% of my final degree grade. That said I do think I will enjoy third year far more than second year as there are no compulsory modules for me to hate on - only optional ones that all seem far far more interesting than the stuff I've been forced to entertain throughout my second and first year.

I just don't know at this point if A) I'm even going to be able to pass those exams in august, although it is possible because I've actually got quite a bit of revision done for them all already - I'm basically just slow on keeping myself updating with the content I need to learn so come exam time I didn't know enough hence the fails, yet by now I do. I kept revising the topics after my exam with the hopes of doing a resit and passing that lol.

This is actually my third year at university though as I re-sat my year last year because I failed it. Yet this year I'm doing worse. Last year I had mitigating circumstances of depression.

Now I don't feel the depressive symptoms that pertain to my own person, but I still have an absolute lack of motivation towards my university work and the thought of revising for these august resits is painful to bear. Maybe I'm just being optimistic in thinking the next year will go okay. Realistically a 2:1 even seems unlikely and I feel getting a 2:2 after all this will be achievement enough, but is it really worth it? What if I just fail next year too?

So... My question is what do I do? Do I just drop out of university and go get a job. Do I try and graduate with as best grade as possible even if it means potentially wasting another £9000 on another year of university for no degree because I fail it or is that too risky?

What about doing my third year part-time while I get some work? I want to do security work and will have my SIA license within a few weeks. I think it might serve as a nice distraction that will keep me motivated to do the degree. Less exposure to the degree per week keeps me interested in it. My mum thinks this is just wishful ******** though and I will just get further distracted from doing my degree work in the first place...

I find it very hard to come to terms with the fact that I've already wasted £20k on this degree and if I drop out now, I literally have just wasted 20 grand. That is very difficult to come to terms with and I feel very hateful towards myself when I consider that. But maybe dropping out now is the best option and those emotions are blinding me from seeing that. But how can I deal with not being able to bear such a thought?
    If u have already paid for the degree, u might as well just go to univeristy and study your modules as there must have been a reason in which u chose to do it in the first place, so i think u shouldnt back down

ReputationRep:

I'm sorry to hear about this; is it the content you're struggling with or just the motivation to do it?

If it's the content I would advise investing in a private tutor, as you said £20,000+ is a lot of money to waste and not have a degree to show for it at the end. If it's the motivation you just need to do the revision and boss the august resits. You've come this far, focus on your end goals? Why are you doing this, at the end of the day?

If you do drop out provided you passed your first year you should receive a CertHE which can go to towards job applications in a limited manner. Or you could write to SFE on grounds of Compelling Personal Reasons to see if they would let you have another year of funding.

Maybe you're feeling overwhelmed? Go and speak to your personal tutor and maybe speak to the students in the year above you and try and come up with a revision plan and timetable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I'm sorry to hear about this; is it the content you're struggling with or just the motivation to do it?

If it's the content I would advise investing in a private tutor, as you said £20,000+ is a lot of money to waste and not have a degree to show for it at the end. If it's the motivation you just need to do the revision and boss the august resits. You've come this far, focus on your end goals? Why are you doing this, at the end of the day?

If you do drop out provided you passed your first year you should receive a CertHE which can go to towards job applications in a limited manner. Or you could write to SFE on grounds of Compelling Personal Reasons to see if they would let you have another year of funding.

Maybe you're feeling overwhelmed? Go and speak to your personal tutor and maybe speak to the students in the year above you and try and come up with a revision plan and timetable
    I can get another year of funding as you can get 4 years and I've only had two so far as the year that I had the depression has been wiped from history. It's just sad that I got better grades in that year than I have in this year LOL. ****. My. Life.

If I do fail these re-sits then I will be forced to leave as I won't be allowed to continue to the third year and I most certainly will not be re-doing the year again.

It is the motivation that is the issue not the content. During class the content is easy and I perform better than pretty much all other students. But then it comes to doing an essay on the stuff and I just want to shoot myself rather than do the damn essay. No motivation for it at all.

I'm doing it because I thought the subjects would be a lot more interesting and a lot less ********y than they are. At this point I've realised economics is ****ed as a discipline and a total waste of time. And philosophy isn't much better tbh. In fact I hate academia at this point. When I started my degree I thought becoming an academic would be a realistic post-graduation desire

So wrong was I

I managed to pass one module's exam with just two days revision and got a 2:2 so I guess within 2months and a bit I can pass 6 more!

ReputationRep:
    I can get another year of funding as you can get 4 years and I've only had two so far as the year that I had the depression has been wiped from history. It's just sad that I got better grades in that year than I have in this year LOL. ****. My. Life.

If I do fail these re-sits then I will be forced to leave as I won't be allowed to continue to the third year and I most certainly will not be re-doing the year again.

It is the motivation that is the issue not the content. During class the content is easy and I perform better than pretty much all other students. But then it comes to doing an essay on the stuff and I just want to shoot myself rather than do the damn essay. No motivation for it at all.

I'm doing it because I thought the subjects would be a lot more interesting and a lot less ********y than they are. At this point I've realised economics is ****ed as a discipline and a total waste of time. And philosophy isn't much better tbh. In fact I hate academia at this point. When I started my degree I thought becoming an academic would be a realistic post-graduation desire

So wrong was I

I managed to pass one module's exam with just two days revision and got a 2:2 so I guess within 2months and a bit I can pass 6 more!
    Okay, think about it like this, what looks better to a potential employer, a 2:2 or the fact that you dropped out halfway through due to lack of motivation? As far as I know lack of motivation is one of the hallmarks of depression so have you received any professional help for it? Don't make the mistake of thinking ''I'm a man now, I should be able to handle this on my own'' because if it's effecting your work this badly you might need help with it and there's nothing wrong with that.

It would help if you had a long term goal or plan then you might be more motivated to succeed, clearly if it's not the content you're struggling with then there's no real reason why you wouldn't be able to do well Maybe you are burnt out? Are you eating/ sleeping/ exercising well? Drinking plenty of water? Rewarding yourself properly? Having at least one day of rest per week?

ReputationRep:
    TorpidPhil

Have you decided what to do yet? Please keep me informed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Okay, think about it like this, what looks better to a potential employer, a 2:2 or the fact that you dropped out halfway through due to lack of motivation? As far as I know lack of motivation is one of the hallmarks of depression so have you received any professional help for it? Don't make the mistake of thinking ''I'm a man now, I should be able to handle this on my own'' because if it's effecting your work this badly you might need help with it and there's nothing wrong with that.

It would help if you had a long term goal or plan then you might be more motivated to succeed, clearly if it's not the content you're struggling with then there's no real reason why you wouldn't be able to do well Maybe you are burnt out? Are you eating/ sleeping/ exercising well? Drinking plenty of water? Rewarding yourself properly? Having at least one day of rest per week?
    Ok, I'll bother to respond to this.

If the employer is seucrity work/police work which is what I want to do post-graduation anyway, it probably won't matter that much. Still, I'm quite invested in this course now and to get a degree in what now is roughly 1year and 2 months of hard revision, isn't that bad.

I went to the quack's last year. It's why I re-sat my second year without having to pay for additional tuition fees. I was popping pills for dep-dep too.

I had a long term goal and now I am questioning it hence this thread. Exactly, which is very frustrating. It's not just a matter of being burnt out and concerning all of the those other question I'm fine.

I'm just going to try and re-sit them all and try to pass so I can get into third year and boss it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.