Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I've been attempting to understand a question that is on one of the new spec papers. It's about e-z isomerism in a molecule. To be honest, I really have no idea how you find the answer, as ir seems equally possible that any of them could cause the z-isomerism. Every single double bond has 2 different groups at each end. I'm really confused basically.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure it is C, also what course is this you are doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claudious)
    Im pretty sure it is C, also what course is this you are doing?
    Yeah I forgot to mention in the question, it is C according to the markscheme. Its the new AQA A level chemistry specimen paper. Any ideas how to work it out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z4_)
    Yeah I forgot to mention in the question, it is C according to the markscheme. Its the new AQA A level chemistry specimen paper. Any ideas how to work it out?
    dayum son edexcel

ReputationRep:
    also i think its about the hydrogen on C that determines it

ReputationRep:
    also i think its about the hydrogen on C that determines it
    Why's that? Also, how would you know when the higher priority groups are on the same side just by looking at the skeletal formula?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by z4_)
    Hello everyone, I've been attempting to understand a question that is on one of the new spec papers. It's about e-z isomerism in a molecule. To be honest, I really have no idea how you find the answer, as ir seems equally possible that any of them could cause the z-isomerism. Every single double bond has 2 different groups at each end. I'm really confused basically.

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, it should be C.

Check out the CIP priorities here

don't forget that double bonds count twice ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z4_)
    Why's that? Also, how would you know when the higher priority groups are on the same side just by looking at the skeletal formula?
    no idea lol can't wait to find out.
    Edexcel doesn't go into that much depth aha
    bare in mind specimen papers are not often representative of the final paper
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    no idea lol can't wait to find out.
    Edexcel doesn't go into that much depth aha
    bare in mind specimen papers are not often representative of the final paper
    If yo want to know why, check out the interactive in my post above ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Yes, it should be C.

Check out the CIP priorities here

don't forget that double bonds count twice ...
    I'm not really following you, isn't is possible that every one of those double bonds could show stereoisomerism? And once you've established that, how would you know which groups are on which side i.e. whether its an e or z isomer?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by z4_)
    I'm not really following you, isn't is possible that every one of those double bonds could show stereoisomerism? And once you've established that, how would you know which groups are on which side i.e. whether its an e or z isomer?
    no, I mean the carbon which has a double bond, attached to the carbon which you are assessing, counts as 6, 6

Imagine you have

R-CH=CH-CH=CH-CH3

And you are interested in the configuration of the DB at the right,

Then the carbon to the left with the db counts twice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.