Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How can I cope with competition from my sister? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, new member and long time lurker here, but I figured maybe someone here would be able to help me?
    My younger sister (age 14) has recently become super competitive with me with anything to do with school. I'm 16 and doing my GCSEs at the moment. I'm not anything special by ANY definition (8As, 1A* and 1B in mocks, but looking at some of you guys thats *really* nothing to brag about!), but she's always been the pretty and popular one and I've always been the half cynical, half whimsical academic one. But recently, she's really turned herself around. She's got far greater motivation than me (and I'm doing actual exams!) and I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little jealous of her drive. But most of all, I'm incredibly proud of her for being so mature. The only problem is, she's switched from just making comments about my friends/looks to also making fun of my grades and making it a genuine competition to (and I quote) 'be the better child'. I am reeaaallly not a competitive person as I tend to kind of blend into the background seeing as my grades or personality aren't too special, so this kind of thing is upsetting, panicking even. She's openly admitted to trying to sabotage my revision sessions to get my grades lower and every time I'm feeling even vaguely good about myself, she will come in and speak about how much more intelligent she is than me. The thing is, I could not care less about this competition! There will always be someone smarter, but I just don't like how this is being some seemingly out of malice and how it's actively damaging both our relationship and also my self-esteem... But what can I say that doesn't make me sound bitter or jealous or put her down? That's not what want to do at all but it's getting to the point where I sit down to revise and I just feel sick and hopeless. We are sisters, not the same person, so I don't understand why I need to be compared with anybody and why she needs to think so poorly of me? Does anyone know what I should say or do? I'm a mess ..^^;

(Thank you! <3)

ReputationRep:
    Say "good for you that I don't care".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slurredsquash)
    Hey guys, new member and long time lurker here, but I figured maybe someone here would be able to help me?
    My younger sister (age 14) has recently become super competitive with me with anything to do with school. I'm 16 and doing my GCSEs at the moment. I'm not anything special by ANY definition (8As, 1A* and 1B in mocks, but looking at some of you guys thats *really* nothing to brag about!), but she's always been the pretty and popular one and I've always been the half cynical, half whimsical academic one. But recently, she's really turned herself around. She's got far greater motivation than me (and I'm doing actual exams!) and I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little jealous of her drive. But most of all, I'm incredibly proud of her for being so mature. The only problem is, she's switched from just making comments about my friends/looks to also making fun of my grades and making it a genuine competition to (and I quote) 'be the better child'. I am reeaaallly not a competitive person as I tend to kind of blend into the background seeing as my grades or personality aren't too special, so this kind of thing is upsetting, panicking even. She's openly admitted to trying to sabotage my revision sessions to get my grades lower and every time I'm feeling even vaguely good about myself, she will come in and speak about how much more intelligent she is than me. The thing is, I could not care less about this competition! There will always be someone smarter, but I just don't like how this is being some seemingly out of malice and how it's actively damaging both our relationship and also my self-esteem... But what can I say that doesn't make me sound bitter or jealous or put her down? That's not what want to do at all but it's getting to the point where I sit down to revise and I just feel sick and hopeless. We are sisters, not the same person, so I don't understand why I need to be compared with anybody and why she needs to think so poorly of me? Does anyone know what I should say or do? I'm a mess ..^^;

(Thank you! <3)
    You're older than her! She can't make fun of you. If she was my sister annoying me like that...things would go pretty serious.

ReputationRep:
    Use it for extra motivation. Thrive off of the competetion and beat her at her own game. Shove it in her face till she gets pissed and then explain to her that ur her older sister and u just want to be friends. Thats what id do. Btw those gcses are great, domt compare to this site, the average here is much higher than the natuonal average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slurredsquash)

(Thank you! <3)
    Just give her a quick kind stab in the heart to remind her she's still not the boss around your house...

ReputationRep:
    You are her elder, slap her around!

Lol

ReputationRep:
    gurl, this is your younger sister we're talking about
    WHO'S THE BOSS?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, things are changing; She'll be on TSR soon procrastinating of how hard the exams are.

All in all, YOU work YOUR best. It doesn't matter what you or anyone else gets, but If YOU work to YOUR maximum potential, then that is all that matters.
    You're doing exceptionally well, and I too struggle to strive for the A*'s but I don't let that stop me, because I know A's in English and other stuff is the best I can do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.