Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Several days ago in response to that hysterical ISIS propagandist guy, I pointed out that ISIS is on the back foot and have been for the last 18 months; they are completely incapable of mounting large-scale offensives anymore and the trend will continue until ISIS is rolled up and Abu Bakr al Baghdadi is paraded through the streets of Baghdad naked in a cage

I said the last part in jest, but it got me thinking; I generally consider myself to be somewhat liberal on the question of respecting people's rights. But Baghdadi is not a soldier, he does not get Geneva Convention protections (which prohibit the humiliation of captured POWs or using them for propaganda).

One of the reasons Hitler killed himself was that he feared the Soviets would parade him through Red Square in a cage. On further reflection, I am not totally opposed to this; the total and utter crushing and humiliation of ISIS would send a clear message. The Islamists could not but conclude that Allah had abandoned a man by allowing him to be so profoundly humiliated before being hanged like a common criminal. Thus, it has strategic value beyond the pleasure I would get from seeing it happen.

What say you?

ReputationRep:
    ISIS propaganda guy?

I think I know him!

Ambitious1999

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    ISIS propaganda guy?

I think I know him!

Ambitious1999
    Haha yeah that's him.

What do you think of the idea? Should the ISIS leader be paraded through the streets of Baghdad in a cage, while the citizens of Baghdad pelt him with rotten vegetables?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thutmose-III)
    Haha yeah that's him.

What do you think of the idea? Should the ISIS leader be paraded through the streets of Baghdad in a cage, while the citizens of Baghdad pelt him with rotten vegetables?
    And then lynched very very slowly, making sure he doesn't die quickly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI)
    And then lynched very very slowly, making sure he doesn't die quickly
    I wouldn't be in favour of that personally, I don't think we should physically torture someone for vengeance purposes (only for informational purposes in extreme situations).

On the other hand, while I generally oppose the death penalty, I do not object to Baghdadi suffering the full penalty of Iraqi law and being hanged as a common criminal after being paraded through the streets in a cage (that parade should be when he is on his way to his execution; it will be a strong deterrent to anyone wanting to take up leadership of such a group in future)

ReputationRep:
    ISIS propaganda guy?!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I would report him to the police to investigate the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thutmose-III)
    One of the reasons Hitler killed himself was that he feared the Soviets would parade him through Red Square in a cage. On further reflection, I am not totally opposed to this; the total and utter crushing and humiliation of ISIS would send a clear message. The Islamists could not but conclude that Allah had abandoned a man by allowing him to be so profoundly humiliated before being hanged like a common criminal. Thus, it has strategic value beyond the pleasure I would get from seeing it happen.

What say you?
    Wasn't that a lie? Thought he ran off to Argentina.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.