Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am keen to study medicine at oxford. I want to apply to an old college, ideally one with good rowing facilities/ results. So far Magdalen and Oriel have caught my eye. Which others should I look in to, especially in regards to medicine and rowing?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ayman19)
    Hi,
    I am keen to study medicine at oxford. I want to apply to an old college, ideally one with good rowing facilities/ results. So far Magdalen and Oriel have caught my eye. Which others should I look in to, especially in regards to medicine and rowing?
    Are you a top-level rower? Basically every college's 1st 8 will be training 7-9x per week, if that's you concern.

You can afford to be more exclusive with your criteria. Size, location, whether it offers clinical medicine, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, top-level.
    Ideally I want somewhere which offers clinical medicine, not too bothered about size as long as it has a good community and I can get to know other 1st years (ideally in a range of subjects) and in terms of location somewhere pretty central I would think

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Maybe a grammar? They have excellent results, and facilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reachin4TheStars)
    Maybe a grammar? They have excellent results, and facilities.
    What? I mean an oxford college like oriel college or magdalen, something within Oxford University, not a local one for someone with 3 Cs XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reachin4TheStars)
    They want 8 or more A* - B, and they are not local. Universities want people who with high abilities and a grammar sixth form or college shows these attributes.
    Read my original question, what you are talking about has nothing to do with what I mean. I have no idea what you are getting at.
    EDIT: I have 13 A*s already
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes, top-level.
    Ideally I want somewhere which offers clinical medicine, not too bothered about size as long as it has a good community and I can get to know other 1st years (ideally in a range of subjects) and in terms of location somewhere pretty central I would think
    Ok. So did you look those criteria up? What did you find?

For rowing, looking at the summer 8s results might be a reasonable first step, as perhaps is the colleges the Blues went to?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    It's Oxford- all of the colleges have "good" results. If you're keen to get involved in rowing, it would probably be best to choose a college close to the river, such as Magdalen. However, don't worry too much about college choice- you may end up at a different college no matter where you apply and, in any case, Oxford is a small city and rowing facilities are fairly accessible.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by OreganoLightbulb)
    It's Oxford- all of the colleges have "good" results. If you're keen to get involved in rowing, it would probably be best to choose a college close to the river, such as Magdalen. However, don't worry too much about college choice- you may end up at a different college no matter where you apply and, in any case, Oxford is a small city and rowing facilities are fairly accessible.
    If he's in an even vaguely good crew he won't be rowing on the Isis much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    If he's in an even vaguely good crew he won't be rowing on the Isis much.
    What do u mean by this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What do u mean by this?
    Good crews train away from the carnage that is the Isis. Usually Radley or Godstow.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.