Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've need advice. I'm 24 and from NI, I've got an unconditional offer from Ravensbourne for Animation and a conditional offer from Teesside for their animation courses. The condition being that I complete the foundation year first.

I'm not sure which to choose. Teesside has a placement year whereas Ravensbourne doesn't seem to. Accommodation is also cheaper but if I choose to do the foundation year that I'm looking at 4-5 years at uni instead of 3. Combine that with tuition, maintenance and accommodation fees, and I'm just not sure.

Does anyone have any advice?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Rebel_scum)
    I've need advice. I'm 24 and from NI, I've got an unconditional offer from Ravensbourne for Animation and a conditional offer from Teesside for their animation courses. The condition being that I complete the foundation year first.

I'm not sure which to choose. Teesside has a placement year whereas Ravensbourne doesn't seem to. Accommodation is also cheaper but if I choose to do the foundation year that I'm looking at 4-5 years at uni instead of 3. Combine that with tuition, maintenance and accommodation fees, and I'm just not sure.

Does anyone have any advice?
    Hi Rebel_Scum,

I am an animation student from Ravensbourne, congratulations on both your offers I'm assuming you mean the animation course at Teesside is recommending you to do a foundation, as I have completed both a foundation and currently on BA in animation and I know there are people who did not complete a foundation prior.

I think you should double check whether or not you can get support for the fees for the foundation course, from when I applied we did not get support however the course is free if you are under 19 and live in the UK. However I believe this might have changed now.

However to get back to your point, it is entirely down to how you work, and whether you feel the extra years will benefit you, some people enjoy studying longer and some feel they need they want to get out of education and pursue their focus areas. Although the Teesside course is potentionally extra 2 years, having a placement year can be really helpful in getting your foot in the doors. You should break down the structure in both courses and decide which you will be happier in.

For example, some degrees are more theory based. I'm not familiar with the Teesside but we are more 3D orientated here, for some projects you can touch on 2D as well. We do get a few client projects during second and third year. Lastly I would recommended booking open days and seeing for yourself!

Its one thing, to take in someone's advice but at the end of day it is how you feel towards the whole experience, you're going to be studying at either of these places for 3 or more years, get a feel for the environment, ask questions first hand, that will be your best advice Despite what anyone says it will be you sitting through the course, so the more you know now, the easier your choice will be.

I hope this has helped!
    Jay

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.