Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to run a big barge and like the look of these.

2004 onwards has the galvansied body that isn't as prone to rust as earlier models.

Anyone here ran one?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it, most of us here are under 60 years old

ReputationRep:
    I havent had one but it should be a good car. The diesels are good I think.

ReputationRep:
    When it goes wrong it will be incredibly expensive. It'll be expensive to run too with a bigger engine and expensive to insure. If you can afford it, then why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the insurance on that is going to be more than the actual car is worth tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by money-for-all)
    Worth £4k

Insurance £700

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by money-for-all)
    If you have lots of NCB or driving for a long time, the insurance is not expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drex50)
    Worth £4k

Insurance £700
    How did you get it so cheap? How many years ncb?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zachary T-H)
    How did you get it so cheap? How many years ncb?
    3 years. Aviva

ReputationRep:
    3 years. Aviva
    Nice, looking to insure an Audi A4 and have 2 years and have been quoted quite a lot. I'll take a look

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to run a big barge and like the look of these.

2004 onwards has the galvansied body that isn't as prone to rust as earlier models.

Anyone here ran one?
    i haven't ran one but my uncle has got one it's a 2006 diesel and he admits that all the power he could ever want on such a car

ReputationRep:
    Had one, amazing vehicles but be careful round the caughts, however it never caught me out just power slides

ReputationRep:
    Parents had one for a while, it was a S600, one of the last ones before they discontinued the V12.

It was a very nice car when new and a nicer car to be driven in rather than to drive.

My parents were life long Mercedes owners, this was the one car they were not too impressed with, poor reliability and many components failed to it and weren't easy to replace.

If you are buying one that is this old, make sure you get one that has been very well taken care off and absolutely everything on it works perfectly. Then after buying better hope that the air suspension doesn't die on you as that won't be cheap to fix.

Personally, I'd buy a Jaguar XJ instead, way more fun to drive and less cumbersome a car. Cheaper to maintain too, in UK at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Parents had one for a while, it was a S600, one of the last ones before they discontinued the V12.

It was a very nice car when new and a nicer car to be driven in rather than to drive.

My parents were life long Mercedes owners, this was the one car they were not too impressed with, poor reliability and many components failed to it and weren't easy to replace.

If you are buying one that is this old, make sure you get one that has been very well taken care off and absolutely everything on it works perfectly. Then after buying better hope that the air suspension doesn't die on you as that won't be cheap to fix.

Personally, I'd buy a Jaguar XJ instead, way more fun to drive and less cumbersome a car. Cheaper to maintain too, in UK at least.
    Why is the Jag less cumbersome? They are a similar size

And why cheaper to maintain?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.