Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have recently been failed for my phd progression assessment and would like to appeal. I was wondering if anyone had success at such an appeal. My university have the following listed as grounds for an appeal:
    • that there existed material circumstances relating directly to the examination (excluding circumstances relating to the candidate’s course of research or course of study) of which the Examiners were not aware;
    • that procedural irregularities occurred in the conduct of the examination, which were of such a nature as to cause reasonable doubt as to whether the Examiners would have reached the same conclusion had the irregularities not occurred;
    • that there is demonstrable evidence of prejudice, bias, or inadequate assessment in the examination process.
    I was wondering if anyone had successfully appealed, or understand what sort of reasons come under the terms above.

ReputationRep:
    The top one is things like illness or something else that makes you unable to participate properly. The other two pretty much wont have happened.

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks, do you know what sort of things the other two points might have been?

(Original post by BlueSam3)
    The top one is things like illness or something else that makes you unable to participate properly. The other two pretty much wont have happened.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Have they given you feedback, is this your first attempt at it, will you have another go? Something needs to have gone drastically wrong for you to have sufficient grounds for appeal. What does your supervisor have to say about it?

ReputationRep:
    It's complicated. I had 2 assessments previously but I retrospectively intermitted during those terms because I was unwell; but they are still treating this as the last attempt.

My supervisor hasn't commented so far, I don't think he likes me.

(Original post by alleycat393)
    Have they given you feedback, is this your first attempt at it, will you have another go? Something needs to have gone drastically wrong for you to have sufficient grounds for appeal. What does your supervisor have to say about it?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It's difficult to tell based on the limited info. Whether or not your supervisor likes you do you feel you have adequate supervision? Re: the actual assessment, apart from the fact that you seem to feel that you weren't read for it (guessing based on your posts), do you think it was fair? Did you get feedback from the previous two assessments?

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to tell based on the limited info. Whether or not your supervisor likes you do you feel you have adequate supervision? Re: the actual assessment, apart from the fact that you seem to feel that you weren't read for it (guessing based on your posts), do you think it was fair? Did you get feedback from the previous two assessments?
    I don't feel the supervision has been adequate, he actually moved universities and I was given an in-house supervisor in a different field but he would still oversee my work. I had some sick leave and when I returned I was very enthusiastic; I sent him many e-mails about the project progression and where we go next but he rarely replied. I emailed about my research and his response was sporadic with long delays.

In the examiners report it said there was not an adequate plan for the future but I had tried so hard to make a good plan.

I have worked hard none the less and felt I made my good progress but one of the examiners doesn't like me at all; I can see in her pre-viva report that she had slated my work saying it was insufficient for publication when my supervisor kept saying it was.

I feel so depressed.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I appreciate that you were ill and that your supervisor moved away. That can make things very difficult. When your original supervisor didn't respond or as well as you would have liked did you flag it up to anyone? Your new supervisor? Director of grad studies? Academics are busy people and even more so if they've just moved and PhD work is supposed to be largely independent so I wonder if there may be differences in expectations here?
    Re: a plan, that can be rectified unless that was brought up in the first two assessments and hasn't been since then.
    Finally, re: publication, that's not an issue in the UK (where are you doing your PhD?) so maybe that needs clarification. It may be better to stop worrying about who likes you and who doesn't and think about the issue objectively (I know this is hard because it's your hard work).

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate that you were ill and that your supervisor moved away. That can make things very difficult. When your original supervisor didn't respond or as well as you would have liked did you flag it up to anyone? Your new supervisor? Director of grad studies? Academics are busy people and even more so if they've just moved and PhD work is supposed to be largely independent so I wonder if there may be differences in expectations here?
    Re: a plan, that can be rectified unless that was brought up in the first two assessments and hasn't been since then.
    Finally, re: publication, that's not an issue in the UK (where are you doing your PhD?) so maybe that needs clarification. It may be better to stop worrying about who likes you and who doesn't and think about the issue objectively (I know this is hard because it's your hard work).
    Many thanks for corresponding with me on this. I did flag my concerns with my college and internal supervisor but they told me not to be hard on my supervisor because he had a new job and was busy. It's just that it doesn't help much with my exam failure. I'm at Cambridge.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Ok based on what you've said, and I know this is not what you want to hear, I don't think you will be able to appeal successfully. You need to have a meeting with your supervisors and director of grad studies and work out what your options are and maybe make a strong case for being able to rectify what the examining committee has flagged up as concerning.

I have a feeling this isn't a full picture here because you haven't really said what feedback the examining committee gave you after the first two assessments, what you did about it and what lead to your taking the exam a third time if you didn't feel ready.

ReputationRep:
    What stage of the progression was it ? Have you spoken to the head of your graduate school about your concerns ?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.