Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how to find the final energies of photons. I can find their momentum but not then their velocity, because their rest mass is zero.
    For example,
    2pc = E
    2ymvc = E

but m is 0.. help

There is no wavelength given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    I don't know how to find the final energies of photons. I can find their momentum but not then their velocity, because their rest mass is zero.
    For example,
    2pc = E
    2ymvc = E

but m is 0.. help

There is no wavelength given.
    How have you found their momentum?

Remember, the de Broglie wavelength of a particle (such as a photon) is given by lamda = h/p.

The energy of a photon is then found from E = hf = hc/lamda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie231213)
    How have you found their momentum?

Remember, the de Broglie wavelength of a particle (such as a photon) is given by lamda = h/p.

The energy of a photon is then found from E = hf = hc/lamda.
    I don't have the wavelengths though
    I got the momenta from E = pc, but this is their CM frame momentum.. do I just add the CM energy? But then they have the same energy, and according to the question, they don't..

Name:  16.png
Views: 26
Size:  3.5 KB
    Attachment 541377541379
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    I don't have the wavelengths though
    I got the momenta from E = pc, but this is their CM frame momentum.. do I just add the CM energy? But then they have the same energy, and according to the question, they don't..

Name:  16.png
Views: 26
Size:  3.5 KB
    Attachment 541377541379
    But if you have the momenta, can't you use that to work out the wavelengths?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.