Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Q2.png
Views: 132
Size:  17.9 KB
    For part c I resolved up and down to get 2T + T = W + kW which is T = (W + kW)/3 which obviously meant that the last part came out a bit strange but that equation isn't technically wrong so why is it invalid?

Attachment 541301541303

For the last part, I did 3H + H = 4H x 2 = 8H which is 8(u^2/2g) which is 4T^2g 39.2T^2 again I don't see how my method didn't work as the facts are all technically true, no?

(I understand the mark scheme methods, I just want to understand why mine didn't get me the right answer)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creativebuzz)
    Name:  Q2.png
Views: 132
Size:  17.9 KB
    For part c I resolved up and down to get 2T + T = W + kW which is T = (W + kW)/3 which obviously meant that the last part came out a bit strange but that equation isn't technically wrong so why is it invalid?

Attachment 541301541303

For the last part, I did 3H + H = 4H x 2 = 8H which is 8(u^2/2g) which is 4T^2g 39.2T^2 again I don't see how my method didn't work as the facts are all technically true, no?

(I understand the mark scheme methods, I just want to understand why mine didn't get me the right answer)
    For part c of the first question. The addition of the weight offsets the tensions so one is no longer twice the tension of the other so the equation is incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptokyo)
    For part c of the first question. The addition of the weight offsets the tensions so one is no longer twice the tension of the other so the equation is incorrect.
    Ah of course, that makes sense now! Thanks! Do you know why the other one went wrong?

Also, have you done FP2?

ReputationRep:
    For the second question the ball starts at height 3H and thus does not travel that distance vertically so that is wrong also. It effectively travels 5H before hitting the ground. H up and 4H down.

ReputationRep:
    Ah of course, that makes sense now! Thanks! Do you know why the other one went wrong?

Also, have you done FP2?
    I have not done FP2 but my modules this year are C1,C2,S1,D1,FP1,M1,M2,M3,M4. So I know some FP2.

ReputationRep:
    I have not done FP2 but my modules this year are C1,C2,S1,D1,FP1,M1,M2,M3,M4. So I know some FP2.
    Amazing!

Well, give it a shot:

Name:  lol.png
Views: 100
Size:  40.8 KB
    How do you do the last part?

Attachment 541317541319

How do you do the last part in this question? (I've put the answer to the previous question as you'll need that)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    For part c on the first question surely just sub in 2cos(pi/10) and show the result is 0.
    Amazing!

Well, give it a shot:

Name:  lol.png
Views: 100
Size:  40.8 KB
    How do you do the last part?

Attachment 541317541319

How do you do the last part in this question? (I've put the answer to the previous question as you'll need that)

ReputationRep:
    Could you send a picture of Fig 1

ReputationRep:
    For part d on that question you deduce the value of a to be root3 and then sub it in to your area in terms of a that you found in part c.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you doing 9 modules? I thought there was only Maths and Further Maths. is there a third maths A Level?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am doing an AS in Additional Further Maths this year.
    (Original post by jess_12)
    Why are you doing 9 modules? I thought there was only Maths and Further Maths. is there a third maths A Level?

ReputationRep:
    creativebuzz are you there?

ReputationRep:
    9 maths exams. I'm praying for you m8 wtf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    Well I rather enjoy them... I am such a sad kid XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    It's not that bad. I did 11 in Jan.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.