Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Y11 student, currently sitting my GCSEs. I'm one of those people who puts A LOT and I mean A LOT of pressure on myself to do well. However, I feel like I've somewhat let myself down during these exams, and just need some help/reassurance to put my mind at rest. How deeply do Unis consider GCSEs? Will I be put at a disadvantage if I obtain one B in maths? (I'm not looking at Oxford, but other good Unis!!) Any help which can put my mind at rest will be much appreciated !
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    top unis like oxford sometimes look at your gcses if there are a lot of competition to get into their uni that year for the course you're doing. the other unis wont put much (even zero) emphasis on your gcses but A levels.
    you need atleast 5 Cs (including maths and english language) to get into most sixth forms
    you need atleast Bs in the subject you're hoping to do in sixth form.
    i think college will accept you with less but Cs in maths and english lang is the most important for a lot of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    top unis like oxford sometimes look at your gcses if there are a lot of competition to get into their uni that year for the course you're doing. the other unis wont put much (even zero) emphasis on your gcses but A levels.
    you need atleast 5 Cs (including maths and english language) to get into most sixth forms
    i think college will accept you with less but Cs in maths and english lang is the most important for a lot of things.
    what about unis like manchester nottingham etc? thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    That's a huge relief, I got AABBCCDE for my GCSE's but I'm predicted for A*AA in maths, biology and chemistry for a-levels now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentgirl1409)
    i think no matter what you do you'll fail and end up somewhere in a bin. you sound pretty stupid to me i mean, a b in maths? you'll be lucky to make it out of your parents attic babes...
    *parents'
    Maybe learn how to use grammar before you post a hateful stupid comment. You appear to be the one who is stupid here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliwats)
    *parents'
    Maybe learn how to use grammar before you post a hateful stupid comment. You appear to be the one who is stupid here
    thank you ! people who have nothing valid to say shouldn't say anything at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI)
    That's a huge relief, I got AABBCCDE for my GCSE's but I'm predicted for A*AA in maths, biology and chemistry for a-levels now
    you'll have to update us on how your application goes!

ReputationRep:
    *parents'
    apologies comrade me and the author of this delightful thread are MATES, understandable that one should object to such treatment in such an abrasive manner but hey ho its all good banter at the end of la jour x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashaaparsons)
    I'm a Y11 student, currently sitting my GCSEs. I'm one of those people who puts A LOT and I mean A LOT of pressure on myself to do well. However, I feel like I've somewhat let myself down during these exams, and just need some help/reassurance to put my mind at rest. How deeply do Unis consider GCSEs? Will I be put at a disadvantage if I obtain one B in maths? (I'm not looking at Oxford, but other good Unis!!) Any help which can put my mind at rest will be much appreciated !
    I've got offers from Russell Group universities (Exeter, Warwick, York) with a B in Maths GCSE, you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    *parents'
    sarcasmˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/
    noun
    1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

ReputationRep:
    i think no matter what you do you'll fail and end up somewhere in a bin. you sound pretty stupid to me i mean, a b in maths? you'll be lucky to make it out of your parents attic babes...
    I know you're trolling but I have a sibling who got a B in maths and got a 1st and I think top of the year in a Russell Group uni course
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMC113)
    I've got offers from Russell Group universities (Exeter, Warwick, York) with a B in Maths GCSE, you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ahh this is just what I needed to hear ! thank you! what were the rest of your results like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I know you're trolling but I have a sibling who got a B in maths and got a 1st and I think top of the year in a Russell Group uni course
    lol
    I'm only joking she's my friend!!!!!!!! IM SORRY EVERYONE IM GETTING A B TOO I WAS JOKING

ReputationRep:
    you'll have to update us on how your application goes!
    I've currently got provisional places at university of birmingham, sheffield, cardiff and manchester.
    But I fear they may change due to the competition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI)
    I've currently got provisional places at university of birmingham, sheffield, cardiff and manchester.
    But I fear they may change due to the competition
    that's really good !! best of luck

ReputationRep:
    ahh this is just what I needed to hear ! thank you! what were the rest of your results like?
    RS A*
    English language, 3 sciences, business, drama - A
    Maths, Spanish, English Lit - B
    Stats - C

They only really asked for English and maths though. They mainly look at predicted A level grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMC113)
    RS A*
    English language, 3 sciences, business, drama - A
    Maths, Spanish, English Lit - B
    Stats - C

They only really asked for English and maths though. They mainly look at predicted A level grades
    thanks, thats helped to calm me ahah

ReputationRep:
    apologies comrade me and the author of this delightful thread are MATES, understandable that one should object to such treatment in such an abrasive manner but hey ho its all good banter at the end of la jour x x
    is it really banter? I imagine people who are not confident in maths may find that comment only exacerbates their sentiments and make them feel even less confident.
    These threads are public, think twice before posting something like that please in order to keep this a place where people can safely ask questions without fearing negativity, no matter it's nature.

ReputationRep:
    Get ABB+ at A-level and gcses will mean nothing

my friend got into warwick to do maths with a D in english ****. nobody care !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.