Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, was just wondering if anyone knows if you can do a masters in nursing or in some other clinical subject straight after a bachelors degree?
    Or if you need to work first.
    I'm sure it'll be like any other subject where you can do a MSc straight away but just wondered if anyone knew??
    Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Mango65)
    Hey, was just wondering if anyone knows if you can do a masters in nursing or in some other clinical subject straight after a bachelors degree?
    I'm sure it'll be like any other subject where you can do a MSc straight away but just wondered if anyone knew??
    Thanks
    To do a masters you need to be registered with the NMC, which you can only be by either doing a nursing degree or doing a graduate conversion to nursing following a different degree. There is nothing to stop you doing a master's straight after a nursing degree, but you won't get any sort of employer funding, and might struggle to find a job that would allow you to start immediately with a masters as most like you to complete a preceptorship programme during your first 6 months or year. There are practical elements to most masters programmes so although there are full time options, most universities recommend doing the masters part time and working alongside it as it's a lot easier this way to fulfil the clinical elements of the course.

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse you can. A NQN on my previous placment will be starting her masters in nursing this year, she's been on the wards for 6 months.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    There are Masters programmes you can do that also give RN status, UCLAN has a Nursing MSC programme for exmaple. It's 3 years, you study alongside the BSC student nurses but your coursework is different and graded to a higher standard. Anyone with a degree of 2:2 or higher can apply and from what I can tell, the main difference between the BSC and MSC is that you have to write a 12,000 wird dissertation for the MSC. Hope that helps x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    The University of Nottingham offer 4 year MSCi nursing courses, which are for undergraduate applicants. I'm sure other universities offer these courses too.

Quite what advantage they give in practice, I don't know, to be honest. But they are most likely beneficial if you have an interest in going into academia or research later in your career. You'll need at least a bit of clinical experience to do that though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.