Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to medical school and I was wondering if anyone can give an overview of how the NHS is run and other stuff. I've been searching on the internet but I haven't found any useful information. I'm especially confused about CCG's and NICE.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A summary of how the NHS is run?! How many hundred pages are you giving us?

CCGs are groups of GPs who organise how money is spent on hospitals. They are a result of the recent hugely expensive and hugely ineffective reorganisation of the NHS.

NICE are an organisation that creates guidelines about how to treat diseases based on the latest evidence. They are only guidelines though - its up to the doctor to apply the recommendation and available evidence to the patient in front of them.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow - this really is a big question. Here it is in six minutes: The King's Fund.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Pra99)
    I'm thinking of applying to medical school and I was wondering if anyone can give an overview of how the NHS is run and other stuff. I've been searching on the internet but I haven't found any useful information. I'm especially confused about CCG's and NICE.
    Hello,

We've got a blog written by a doctor briefly outlining how the NHS is run. It's got useful links for more information about CGSs and NICE if you want to learn more about them.

You can read it here.

Hope you find it useful! If not, let us know, and we can try and get a doctor from our team to answer your specific needs

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    You don't really have to worry about that until you get to your interview and even then you will only require a very basic understanding of the broad lines. As someone before mentioned, the Kings Fund video is quite good: http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects...ew-nhs-england and will show you, if anything, how complex it all is and therefore why you shouldn't really bother learning much about it. Most doctors are ignorant about it too.

There is also a good summary of the new NHS in a simplified way in ISC Medical's book for medical interviews: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Int...ds=isc+medical

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.