Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in Year 11, and basically, I originally chose to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths for my A Levels since they were/are my favourite subjects and I wanted to study medicine (shocker!).
    Then the thought of FM appealed to me, and the more I looked into it, the more I realised I wanted to study it, so I added that to my choices for next year as well.
    But now I've reached the point where I'm really doubting whether or not I should do Biology - I love learning about the body etc, but there's something inside ("gut feeling" or whatever) that's telling me not to do it and that I should change to Physics instead. Possibly the whole plant aspect of Bio (I think the new spec is 60% plants, 40% body) and also the fact that Bio requires loads of memory work, whereas (I think) Maths, Physics etc are more about applying skills? But then, that obviously rules out most medical schools for me.
    Right now, I'm considering doing a Maths degree, but I have no idea if I will be good enough since I was already doubting my ability to do FM - I've looked at stuff from FP1 and had a FM taster lesson earlier this year (which ok yeah, is meant to be the easiest module) and I managed to understand complex numbers, matrices and do questions on them etc.
    Someone told me to look at STEP and see if I understood anything, and I'm not sure if they were joking or not since one look at STEP 1 had me crapping myself - it looked more like a foreign language than maths
    My biggest worry is not being good enough for a Maths degree - like how do you know so early on if you are or not?? I know that Physics isn't 100% required for Maths, but I think that it would help a lot, and would probably make sense since I would be studying Mechanics in FM anyway. And halfway through Year 12, I'm worried that I'll have so many regrets as I may realise that I really do want to study medicine but it would be 'too late'. I know that they're 2 completely different fields of work but I'm so confused right now and really would like some help!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    sorry for the rant - I suppose I just needed to get this out of my head lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Hi, I'm in Year 11, and basically, I originally chose to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths for my A Levels since they were/are my favourite subjects and I wanted to study medicine (shocker!).
    Then the thought of FM appealed to me, and the more I looked into it, the more I realised I wanted to study it, so I added that to my choices for next year as well.
    But now I've reached the point where I'm really doubting whether or not I should do Biology - I love learning about the body etc, but there's something inside ("gut feeling" or whatever) that's telling me not to do it and that I should change to Physics instead. Possibly the whole plant aspect of Bio (I think the new spec is 60% plants, 40% body) and also the fact that Bio requires loads of memory work, whereas (I think) Maths, Physics etc are more about applying skills? But then, that obviously rules out most medical schools for me.
    Right now, I'm considering doing a Maths degree, but I have no idea if I will be good enough since I was already doubting my ability to do FM - I've looked at stuff from FP1 and had a FM taster lesson earlier this year (which ok yeah, is meant to be the easiest module) and I managed to understand complex numbers, matrices and do questions on them etc.
    Someone told me to look at STEP and see if I understood anything, and I'm not sure if they were joking or not since one look at STEP 1 had me crapping myself - it looked more like a foreign language than maths
    My biggest worry is not being good enough for a Maths degree - like how do you know so early on if you are or not?? I know that Physics isn't 100% required for Maths, but I think that it would help a lot, and would probably make sense since I would be studying Mechanics in FM anyway. And halfway through Year 12, I'm worried that I'll have so many regrets as I may realise that I really do want to study medicine but it would be 'too late'. I know that they're 2 completely different fields of work but I'm so confused right now and really would like some help!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think you should really ask your teachers for help, they understand you better as a student then anyone here on tsr will, no matter how descriptive you are.

I take maths and physics, I love maths and sort of regret not taking further maths as it seems interesting.
    However I know many people who dropped further maths within first week of sixth form.

I also take biology and I feel its a case of if you work hard you get a good grade, about 80% memory work I would say, however it is very interesting.

I may be bias on this statement. I hate physics, I do AQA and the syllabus is terrible , it doesn't even explore the ideas about renewbale energy or nuclear energy etc, I think that's at a2. Also my phsyics teacher is terrible, really made me ahte physics.

I take triple science and maths and in order of difficulity it goes maths, biology chem and physic ( easeiest to hardest), physics just because of my teacher tbh.

And step is very hard ive heard, but is only for if you really wanna do maths, I personally would not be able to do maths at uni, maths every day for 3 or 4 years is too much, but end of the day its upto you, just try to make the ebst choice and if you make the wrong choice you can cahneg it within first few weeks or so of college

ReputationRep:
    biology isn't a necessity for medicine, i think it just keeps the medical school options wider

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I would say do Biology, you might think that it's excessive content makes it hard, but it's actually the easiest science A-level, plus taking Physics will just confine your scope, take Further Maths, Maths, Bio and Chemistry; its a good combination if you can't decide which degree you want to study

ReputationRep:
    My advice to you is don't drop bio or chem, whatever you do.

ReputationRep:
    At least you've recognised plant biology is a load of BS

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i would 100% take physics lol bio is never ever required for anything, but you seem to have a scientific/mathematical mind and you never know, in the future you may want to do engineering, economics etc which will really value your physics a level.

im taking maths, fm, physics, economics, english literature and all my friends take maths, fm and all sciences and they hate bio because it doesnt really teach you any skills

physics is amazingly interesting, very maths based, and so so valuable!! you dont have to think about whether youre good enough for a certain degree or not just yet!! i have improved beyond belief since the start of the year! and now im aiming for cambridge and imperial

the good thing about physics and fm is that not only do you keep the science doors open, you keep business/city doors open too

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.