Anony__Mouse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, my IGCSE History exam is this Monday and was wondering if you get extra marks if you state the exact date of something for example.
If you say "the treaty of St.Germain happened in 1919" OR
If you say "the treaty of St. Germain happened in the 10th of September 1919."
If you put both sentences in the EXACT same paragraph will the one with the exact date possibly get more marks?
So in conclusion if you write the exact date (full date) would you get more marks than if you just put the year.
RandomStudent66
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do not think that you would get marks for stating the date of something in the Edexcel exam, reason being marks are awarded for contextual knowledge and PAD (Precise Accurate Detail). Writing the specific date of something (10th of September 1919) will not get you more marks than just the year.

Source - Doing the same exam on Monday

Good luck on your exam
HarryScotchy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I agree I don't think this will gain more marks, it just makes you look like you know more knowledge, which is good! In case anybody needs any help: I'm doing edexcel and igcse and got 98% in the mocks in Jan which was the 2014 paper both paper 1 and 2. The topics I do are Weimar and nazi Germany, superpower relations 1945-63 and then super two I do fall of communism and China. For Germany and the Cold War, all I've really done is run through the textbook. However I would also make plans for key questions which I can post if you want. (The questions that is). You explain each key event - cause event and consequence. Also you'll need to know how to structure answers for question whic is easy:For edexcel igcse,A) Timeline so know your datesB) point, evidence explainC) two but three is possible PEEL (L is link) and a link conclusion.. X lead to y because ... And y led to z. If you struggle to find links, just link them in chronology! No intro neededD) three but four if possible PEEL with a proper conclusion that sums what your saying up remembering to quote from source AND use own knowledge but this is simple as most of the points are in the source: "the most important reason for the nazis rise to power was"hitler" " for example.. Bad example but your point is hitler and you've quoted so this would work.
Anony__Mouse
Rep:
?
(Original post by HarryScotchy)
Yeah I agree I don't think this will gain more marks, it just makes you look like you know more knowledge, which is good! In case anybody needs any help: I'm doing edexcel and igcse and got 98% in the mocks in Jan which was the 2014 paper both paper 1 and 2. The topics I do are Weimar and nazi Germany, superpower relations 1945-63 and then super two I do fall of communism and China. For Germany and the Cold War, all I've really done is run through the textbook. However I would also make plans for key questions which I can post if you want. (The questions that is). You explain each key event - cause event and consequence. Also you'll need to know how to structure answers for question whic is easy:For edexcel igcse,A) Timeline so know your datesB) point, evidence explainC) two but three is possible PEEL (L is link) and a link conclusion.. X lead to y because ... And y led to z. If you struggle to find links, just link them in chronology! No intro neededD) three but four if possible PEEL with a proper conclusion that sums what your saying up remembering to quote from source AND use own knowledge but this is simple as most of the points are in the source: "the most important reason for the nazis rise to power was"hitler" " for example.. Bad example but your point is hitler and you've quoted so this would work.
Alright, do you have any advice on good exam techniques to answer the question as best as possible?
Anony__Mouse
Rep:
?
Thanks for answering the question and I was wondering do you have any good exam techniques to answer the question as best as possible?
HarryScotchy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
PEEL making sure you quote for your point and explaining and backing up with evidence and linking the point to the next in the last sentence...most the time the link is one led to another (1934-1935 etc)
dance25
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How much do you write for each PEEL?
Like, how much evidence do you give?
Could you post an example?
newbie911
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What are your predictions for this years' questions?
HarryScotchy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dance25)
How much do you write for each PEEL?
Like, how much evidence do you give?
Could you post an example?
"One effect of the Great Depression on Germany was "growing unemployment". Due to the depression, money was becoming worthless and many people lost their savings and over 6 million became unemployed. With many out of jobs, discontent grew and grew because they weren't able to get income to feed themselves. This links to the government becoming unpopular because the people blamed them for their problems."
dance25
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you!
So for an 8 marker you would make two points( about the same length as that one?) and link them?
dance25
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anyone do USA civil rights?

if so, one effect of:

NOW formation
little rock
SDS
Rosenberg case
Hiss case

aha thank you
AbAbCd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any predictions for the 8 and 10 markers for A development of a dictatorship in Germany? Please share?
Mamachicken
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Germany's defeat in WW2 and Hitler's death haven't been asked as 8 or 10 markers yet. I don't know if these will come as 8 or 10 markers, but Nazi Propaganda, the German Revolution, Munich Putsch, Kellog-Briand Pact, Night of the long knives and opposition (edelweiss pirates, white rose) haven't come up recently- they seem more likely to come as 4 markers.
Anyone else have any predictions?
newbie911
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But what would the question be if it was about Hitler's death? There's nothing much to say for an 8/10 marker hmm...

I think the 8/10 marker would actually be about opposition to Hitler (White Rose, Edelweiss Pirates, Swing Movement <- does that count?) and maybe something about Churches.
Mamachicken
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Defeat in WW2 and the death of Hitler is the name of the last chapter in my textbook, basically the end of Hitler's efforts :P Yeah, opposition seems quite likely to come as an 8-10 marker, and churches count as opposition too.
RandomStudent66
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any predictions for civil Rights 8/10 markers?
AbAbCd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by newbie911)
But what would the question be if it was about Hitler's death? There's nothing much to say for an 8/10 marker hmm...

I think the 8/10 marker would actually be about opposition to Hitler (White Rose, Edelweiss Pirates, Swing Movement <- does that count?) and maybe something about Churches.
I don't think Hitlers death will come up but who knows
AbAbCd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mamachicken)
Germany's defeat in WW2 and Hitler's death haven't been asked as 8 or 10 markers yet. I don't know if these will come as 8 or 10 markers, but Nazi Propaganda, the German Revolution, Munich Putsch, Kellog-Briand Pact, Night of the long knives and opposition (edelweiss pirates, white rose) haven't come up recently- they seem more likely to come as 4 markers.
Anyone else have any predictions?
That's interesting if the Knight of the Long Knives hasn't come up then? Surely that has to be at least one of the questions?
newbie911
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AbAbCd)
That's interesting if the Knight of the Long Knives hasn't come up then? Surely that has to be at least one of the questions?
High chance it'd be a 4 marker then I hope it is, I think Night of Long Knives is on the easier side.
newbie911
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh, and also, for opposition you could talk about the Stauffenberg plot in July 1944 as well.

What's the difference between Labour Service and Labour Front?

Ahh, the exam is tomorrow, I'm kind of nervous.

UPDATE: I found out the difference, thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads