Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there, I'm here to ask what I should do with this matter.

I'm currently on an intensive driving course and have been for 2 days now. I am feeling really uncomfortable with my instructor, he keeps making odd comments about my weight (e.g. "I was worried seeing as big people cannot drive and manoeuvre properly, but you seem to have a lot of muscle") and he keeps making sexual jokes that is making me feel nervous around him.
    Whenever he uses an analogy to explain a manoeuvre or something to me he'll relate it to something sexual, and he even asked if I was single, and if I had been single forever. He also made a joke today referring to the condensation in the car being all "hot and steamy" relating to heavy breathing during sex. I mean, those sort of jokes can be funny but this is an old man who I've known for only two days?!
    It isn't just his attitude though, I think he's a pretty bad instructor. I am a complete beginner, yet I ended up on the duel carriageway today and doing roundabouts! He taught me start and stop, yet I'm having to rely on previous knowledge or common sense to get me by.
    He even said to me today that I have road rage, yet I have NEVER shouted at anyone or treated other road users poorly?!

I know I should have said something earlier but my lack of confidence has held me back. I'm planning on speaking to the course coordinator tomorrow. Am I doing the right thing?

Thanks, sorry for the long post.

ReputationRep:
    Drop out, get another one and report him!

ReputationRep:
    there are other issues as well that I keep remembering, such as when I had to pull over today because I was crying from stress and he said i "shouldn't be a big girl, you should be a young woman" I mean what the hell?

I should also mention that I am a beginner but I had a few lessons back in 2013, I was really confident on the roads and I was happy to drive fast if I had to, and now I'm terrified to go over 30mph because I feel like I lack control and I feel very unsafe, not only to myself but to other drivers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zestylemons)
    there are other issues as well that I keep remembering, such as when I had to pull over today because I was crying from stress and he said i "shouldn't be a big girl, you should be a young woman" I mean what the hell?

I should also mention that I am a beginner but I had a few lessons back in 2013, I was really confident on the roads and I was happy to drive fast if I had to, and now I'm terrified to go over 30mph because I feel like I lack control and I feel very unsafe, not only to myself but to other drivers!
    just switch instructors

ReputationRep:
    Hello there, I'm here to ask what I should do with this matter.

I'm currently on an intensive driving course and have been for 2 days now. I am feeling really uncomfortable with my instructor, he keeps making odd comments about my weight (e.g. "I was worried seeing as big people cannot drive and manoeuvre properly, but you seem to have a lot of muscle" and he keeps making sexual jokes that is making me feel nervous around him.
    Whenever he uses an analogy to explain a manoeuvre or something to me he'll relate it to something sexual, and he even asked if I was single, and if I had been single forever. He also made a joke today referring to the condensation in the car being all "hot and steamy" relating to heavy breathing during sex. I mean, those sort of jokes can be funny but this is an old man who I've known for only two days?!
    It isn't just his attitude though, I think he's a pretty bad instructor. I am a complete beginner, yet I ended up on the duel carriageway today and doing roundabouts! He taught me start and stop, yet I'm having to rely on previous knowledge or common sense to get me by.
    He even said to me today that I have road rage, yet I have NEVER shouted at anyone or treated other road users poorly?!

I know I should have said something earlier but my lack of confidence has held me back. I'm planning on speaking to the course coordinator tomorrow. Am I doing the right thing?

Thanks, sorry for the long post.
    I think the majority of answers here are gonna be change instructor xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poundsoffat)
    I think the majority of answers here are gonna be change instructor xD
    Haha fair enough, that's what I was planning to do anyway, I just wanted second opinions in case I was going loopy :P

ReputationRep:
    Haha fair enough, that's what I was planning to do anyway, I just wanted second opinions in case I was going loopy :P
    haha no e sounds like a pedo and definitely doesn't know what he's doin if you're doing ROUNDABOUTS which is like the most difficult stuff to learn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poundsoffat)
    haha no e sounds like a pedo and definitely doesn't know what he's doin if you're doing ROUNDABOUTS which is like the most difficult stuff to learn
    Yep I agree, considering I've been off the road for three years you'd think he'd spend more time teaching me the basic stuff! Lol. Trust me to get the weirdo xD

ReputationRep:
    Definitely get a new instructor.

ReputationRep:
    Is this guy actually an approved driving instructor? Does he have a green badge displayed in the window of his car? If not and you are paying him for lessons, then he is breaking the law.

As far as the inappropriate comments are concerned he is completely out of order. DO NOT get in the car with him again.

In either of the above cases report him to the DVSA fraud and integrity team without delay.

ReputationRep:
    Get a new instructor

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Report him!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you write down what has ben happening, in the right order if possible, keep a copy and and when you report him hand over the written copy. Make sure it contains how he has made you feel.
    Its important to not exaggerate for effect though it sounds like you wouldn't have to anyway.
    This sort of behaviour doesn't just appear overnight, he has probably been doing it for some time so there may well be previous records of it with his employer.
    Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.