Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

is sports science a mickey mouse subject? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    just askin wot ppl think coz ive got a place but not sure if the degree will be worth while for 3 years. i dunno wot i wanna be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    just askin wot ppl think coz ive got a place but not sure if the degree will be worth while for 3 years. i dunno wot i wanna be
    I would say so, but it would depend on the uni that it is at.

If it is at a good uni, then it is probably worthwhile, but if it is at a former polytechnic, then it is probably a waste of time.

(Original post by risk-is-good)
    If it is at a good uni, then it is probably worthwhile, but if it is at a former polytechnic, then it is probably a waste of time.
    Yeah because all courses at former polytechnics are grossely inferior aren't they... :rolleyes:

Like any other degree, the value of the course in not in the bit of paper that you get at the end of it, it is in what you learn during your study. Sports Science can be a wonderfully worthwhile degree and it can also be a complete waste of time (same applies to History, Economics, Maths etc...). You should look at the content of the course and decide if you think it would be worthwhile studying individual courses. From a synical perspective I would suggest that courses with a high biology content would probably be the ones that are "respected". You should however not decide against a degree course because other people seem to devalue it in an attempt to enhance thier own self-worth, these people are the ones that take traditional courses for all the wrong reasons and come out the other end with the personality of a shurb because they have studied something that isn't what they love for several years. You should decide on your course because YOU like it and will be a good at it, forget the ravings of others!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Like any other degree, the value of the course in not in the bit of paper that you get at the end of it, it is in what you learn during your study.
    Well I for one would not like to finance a three year degree if the 'bit of paper at the end of it' wasn't valued, even if it had lots of things I liked in it. We're already experiencing an avalanche of graduates with degrees they can't do anything with, and very few of those did it for so called academic merit.
    As far as sport science goes, it's a practical degree you can do something with so I wouldn't call it a "mickey mouse subject" at all. We could easily cut about 25% of our degree programmes though, and end up better financed universities.

ReputationRep:
    Well if youre looking for prestige yes it is, but is it worth it in itself? Id say it depends on your interests and aspirations. What work do you hope to secure with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risk-is-good)
    ack! you make me sick...

yes

(Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Well I for one would not like to finance a three year degree if the 'bit of paper at the end of it' wasn't valued,
    I have little interest in what other people's opinions of degree courses. I perfer to make my own valuation of them and therefore in my opinion the simplest way to identify a worthwhile course is to find one that interests me (ignorant of others opinions, which are generally media driven anyway). I think too many people lose sight of the fact that university is about developing your mind as well as getting the degree that makes you employable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    when it comes to actually getting the job having a "good" degree means nothing - being a good potential emplyee means everything.
    It does when people with a combination of the two are applying for the same job.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.