Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is my degree, which lasts for four years, absolutely of the same value with a three year BA? Does it not make any difference when applying for postgrad? Could it not help me get into PhD w/o Masters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrotskyiteRebel)
    Is my degree, which lasts for four years, absolutely of the same value with a three year BA? Does it not make any difference when applying for postgrad? Could it not help me get into PhD w/o Masters?
    are you applying to a scottish university ? if so yes the 4 year course is generally the same as a 3 year course in England wouldn't make any difference apart from being a year older when you apply for your phd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultracrepidarian)
    are you applying to a scottish university ?
    I have two more yrs to go but I don't mind so long as it is a good uni. I'm doing international relations btw

ReputationRep:
    are you applying to a scottish university ? if so yes the 4 year course is generally the same as a 3 year course in England wouldn't make any difference apart from being a year older when you apply for your phd
    What if I was applying to an English university? Or anywhere else in the UK

ReputationRep:
    I have two more yrs to go but I don't mind so long as it is a good uni. I'm doing international relations btw
    i have applied for a ma and ba theyre in my case the same thing

ReputationRep:
    What if I was applying to an English university? Or anywhere else in the UK
    Basically theres no advantage doing a 4 year course youre just taking an extra year compared to a student in england doing the same course to complete it

ReputationRep:
    i have applied for a ma and ba theyre in my case the same thing
    that sucks man. I hope someone made that clear to me before I applied. You see I'm an international student and it's a **** load of money each year. That apart, I will have to apply for MA, apple for a one year visa, then apply for Phd and get another visa. My family doesn't know, they think I'm doing masters :-( What should I do? Should I tell them the truth or just **** PhD?

ReputationRep:
    that sucks man. I hope someone made that clear to me before I applied. You see I'm an international student and it's a **** load of money each year. That apart, I will have to apply for MA, apple for a one year visa, then apply for Phd and get another visa. My family doesn't know, they think I'm doing masters :-( What should I do? Should I tell them the truth or just **** PhD?
    whats your course title and at what university so i can double check

ReputationRep:
    whats your course title and at what university so i can double check
    International Relations, University of Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    International Relations, University of Edinburgh
    http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergr...view&code=L250

this course ?

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    yes
    its just a 4 year undergraduate course

ReputationRep:
    its just a 4 year undergraduate course
    yea. Thanks for your help anyways. My parents will get mad But I have heard that PhD w/o Ma is possible, am I wrong? I mean I've you can do PhD after even a BA

ReputationRep:
    yea. Thanks for your help anyways. My parents will get mad But I have heard that PhD w/o Ma is possible, am I wrong? I mean I've you can do PhD after even a BA
    from what i know yeah it is possible

ReputationRep:
    from what i know yeah it is possible
    yea thanks anyways. I think I will have a discussion with ppl in my own uni next year probably they can let me know more. It also depends on the subject whether you can skip MA or not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.