Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

collapsed lung watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    have you or do you know anyone who has ever had a collapsed lung? my father's just been taken to hospital after a week or so with difficult breathing..

are they dangerous and is he going to be ok, is what i'm wondering??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    have you or do you know anyone who has ever had a collapsed lung? my father's just been taken to hospital after a week or so with difficult breathing..

are they dangerous and is he going to be ok, is what i'm wondering??

my uncle had one. He's okay now, except he can't fly anywhere, he has to travel overseas by train or boat.
    I mean, you can survive with just one lung, i hope your dad's okay

ReputationRep:
    My best friend had leukemaia when he was nine and his lungs been collapsed ever since - he's played sport just about every day since and i dotn think he has ever noticed it - he's allowed to fly as well

ReputationRep:
    My Mum had one. It's dangerous if it's not re-inflated. But if it's caught in time it can be re-inflated. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    My Mum had one. It's dangerous if it's not re-inflated. But if it's caught in time it can be re-inflated. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
    i think my frinds must have been re-inflated, or does it happen naturally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    They stick a chest tube or something in it, and it reinflates. *has vague recollections from watching too much ER*

Hope you dad is OK!

ReputationRep:
    hey, thanks everybody!! going to go visit him tonight - i hate hospitals!

there are some real nice people on this site, you know? and some other types of people, but we wont go into that right now...

thanks again, xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    Depends on the severity of it. A collapsed lung occurs when air gets into the space between the lung and the chest wall. Because the lung is under stress when adherent to the chest wall, allowing air to enter increases the pressure on it, so it will collapse. As an emergency repair, they can stick in a chest drain, which allows the air to be forced out by bubbling it through water, and the lung gradually reinflates.

If the lung keeps on collapsing (my cousin had this problem) then what they do is even less pleasant. They open up the chest, usually from behind, and basically scrub the surface of the lung and the chest wall. As they heal, scar tissue forms and the two surfaces will actually stick to each other. This prevents the lung from re-collapsing.

I've never heard about not being able to fly though.

ReputationRep:
    When I was about 6 a friend of mine's grandad had a collapsed lung, he was in hospital for a little while and they drained it and he's still going strong

ReputationRep:
    If he is in good hands, hell be alright!

Hope he gets better soon!

ReputationRep:
    I came out of hospital about two months ago. I had a pneumonia which turned into empyema and there was such much liquid in the chest cavity, my lung collapsed (or something like that, I was in bed by then, fainting every few minutes!). All I can say is that it takes a lot of time to recover. Your father and your family will have to be very pacient. It's also extremely painful no matter how many painkillers they gave me, and the morphine made me sick all the time, so I didn't eat at all for a month. Byt that might just be me Hospital staff I met were really encouraging, because you need motivation to keep going at times. What I will say, from experience, is that even a 10 min visit is great, and motivates you really well to continue.

ReputationRep:
    My friends lung collapsed last year just before he went to sit his A2's, and he was in hospital for a month after that, and so couldn't sit his A2's. So he sat them this year, after retaking the whole year.

He's ok though. Your dad should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    hey, thanks everybody!

he's getting better now - he'll be out of hospital tomorrow!! the doctor had to poke his finger through my fathers chest in between his ribs and muscle and into his lung - :eek: ! my father said it was the worst pain he has ever had and he thought he was gonna die!! :eek: again! and my father is so strong usually!!

he's fine! yay!

ReputationRep:
    Glad to hear he's doing well..ishing him a speedy recovery!....(It does sound painful!-ur dad must have a very high pain threshold!)

ReputationRep:
    That's great news. I'm glad it's all turned out well.

ReputationRep:
    Yayy, good to hear! Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

ReputationRep:
    well, i'm a bit pissed off! me and my mother waited for 3 hours to take my father home, but he couldnt leave cause there was only one doctor monitoring like 5 wards or something! :mad: and my dad had to wait for the doctor to give him the all-clear - even though he practically knows he is fine!

we had to leave eventually to walk the dog, and told him to ring when the doctor finally turns up. and he just rung now saying he wants to sign out but the doctor has to be present to do this..

it's really ticked me off!!! sorry if i'm selfish - but i want my dad back!

ReputationRep:
    well, i'm a bit pissed off! me and my mother waited for 3 hours to take my father home, but he couldnt leave cause there was only one doctor monitoring like 5 wards or something! :mad: and my dad had to wait for the doctor to give him the all-clear - even though he practically knows he is fine!

we had to leave eventually to walk the dog, and told him to ring when the doctor finally turns up. and he just rung now saying he wants to sign out but the doctor has to be present to do this..

it's really ticked me off!!! sorry if i'm selfish - but i want my dad back!
    no, your not selfish at all! these hospitals really need to pull themselves together, it's always on the news how bad they are.

ReputationRep:
    He's Home!!!!!!!

:d:d:d

ReputationRep:
    He's Home!!!!!!!

:d:d:d
    Yay!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.