Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is post university/exam depression a thing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

So I completed my second year of university yesterday, and I was REALLY happy at the thought of the academic year being over because studying has been 80% of my waking life for months.

But every damn year I become depressed and descend into an anticlimactic mood. I find myself not caring about going out or doing anything I wanted to do in my spare time (this happened for two weeks last year).

I was wondering if this was actually a thing? If it is, is there anything I can do about it?

I was thinking of *stopping slowly* by taking up a FutureLearn (or another MOOC) course or tackling the reading list for next year, but meh.

Any advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    My guess is that since so much of your life is occupied by studying, the sudden loss of stuff to do makes you bored (and so depressed) very quickly. Definitely try to plan something to do straight after exams like u said. Keep your summer busy, not necessarily with more studying, but with things you enjoy. Also I would say have a mix of things to do to vary it, and it's probably best if they involve physical activity to get your dopamine levels up. Eg. Get a job, do that course, force yourself to go to a sports club etc. Getting out of the house is the most important thing imo

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly this feeling!! I was looking forward to exams being over so much and had all these plans and stuff, and now it's like "...what now?" and I'm spending all day doing nothing and it sucks. Start a project, learn a new skill, do something like that. I know the feeling so well though, it's like your motivation to do ANYTHING is just not there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really feeling rubbish. It's been just over a week since I finished my A2 exams and I seem to have nothing to do. All my friends are 'busy' and there's not a lot to do on my own before I go insane. Have been tidying up my room as this drove me crazy when studying but now that's done I seem to have nothing to do until uni in September. I went shopping yesterday on my own but I didn't really enjoy it and I was really anxious all day for some reason. Guess I need to find something to do. I have a job on Sunday's and have asked for extra hours but not heard anything yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DragonRaine)
    Hello everyone,

So I completed my second year of university yesterday, and I was REALLY happy at the thought of the academic year being over because studying has been 80% of my waking life for months.

But every damn year I become depressed and descend into an anticlimactic mood. I find myself not caring about going out or doing anything I wanted to do in my spare time (this happened for two weeks last year).

I was wondering if this was actually a thing? If it is, is there anything I can do about it?

I was thinking of *stopping slowly* by taking up a FutureLearn (or another MOOC) course or tackling the reading list for next year, but meh.

Any advice would be appreciated
    Exactly the same position as you, spent months working towards exams and suddenly have nothing to do, and little motivation to do much. I found that joining a sports club has helped a little in terms of having some routine and something to look forward to, so maybe try something like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah course, it's just like finishing school or sixth form, you are doing and working hard something, then nothing. Bound to cause depression. I got it after school, sixth form, and uni, particularly with moving back to my parents and missing the area I was in for uni.

I'm really depressed because I'm not doing anything like I'm not doing revision and my social life is pretty non existent since during exams i didn't have the time to do stuff with people like idk and then theres the panic about the prospect of missing offers ect... its just this period of feeling vey lost and not in control ;/

(Original post by Caitlin20)
    I'm really feeling rubbish. It's been just over a week since I finished my A2 exams and I seem to have nothing to do. All my friends are 'busy' and there's not a lot to do on my own before I go insane. Have been tidying up my room as this drove me crazy when studying but now that's done I seem to have nothing to do until uni in September. I went shopping yesterday on my own but I didn't really enjoy it and I was really anxious all day for some reason. Guess I need to find something to do. I have a job on Sunday's and have asked for extra hours but not heard anything yet
    try and get the extra hours at work cause thats what i've been doing post exams and it really helps with passing the time and keeping your mind off uni and stuff... i know what you mean about friends being busy as during exams i kept just not doing anything but now I'm desperate to just do something but people are all going on holidays ect and I'm just here like bored and wasting the hours away... i would say just try and do some exercise if you can like go for a run to try and clear your mind or watch something like the tennis even just to try and get your mind off things... people said how this summer would be amazing cause its so long but i wish i was back at sixth form where i had a proper routine

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.