Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Compound X, C5H12O, is oxidised by acidified sodium dichromate(VI) to compound Y.
    Compound Y reacts with butan-2-ol in the presence of a little concentrated sulfuric acid to give
    liquid Z.
    What could be the formula of Z?
    A)CH3(CH2)3CO2CH(CH3)CH2CH3
    B)CH3(CH2)3CO2(CH2)3CH3
    C)CH3(CH2)2CO2CH(CH3)CH2CH3
    D)(CH3)2CHCH2CO2C(CH3)3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alyoan tariq)
    Compound X, C5H12O, is oxidised by acidified sodium dichromate(VI) to compound Y.
    Compound Y reacts with butan-2-ol in the presence of a little concentrated sulfuric acid to give
    liquid Z.
    What could be the formula of Z?
    A)CH3(CH2)3CO2CH(CH3)CH2CH3
    B)CH3(CH2)3CO2(CH2)3CH3
    C)CH3(CH2)2CO2CH(CH3)CH2CH3
    D)(CH3)2CHCH2CO2C(CH3)3
    We can assume compound x is either an alcohol or an aldehyde because it can be oxidised by dichromate ions.
    Which makes compound y either an aldehyde or a carboxylic acid. As it reacts with an alcohol I'd say it's a carboxylic acid and makes an ester. Since it's a carboxylic acid, the starting alcohol must be a primary alcohol.
    Liquid z is an ester of butan-2-ol and the carboxylic acid made.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Butan-2-ol is CH3CH(OH)CH2CH3
    The carboxylic acid made can be either CH3(CH2)3COOH or CH3CH2CH(CH3)COOH (isomers of primary alcohols make the two different carboxylic acids)
    The ester produced is either CH3(CH2)3COOCH(CH3)CH2CH3
    or CH3CH2CH(CH3)COOCH(CH3)CH2CH3. Since only the first one is in the answers, I'd say it was A.
    Name:  Photo on 01-06-2016 at 08.29 #2.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  144.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurasaur)
    We can assume compound x is either an alcohol or an aldehyde because it can be oxidised by dichromate ions.
    Which makes compound y either an aldehyde or a carboxylic acid. As it reacts with an alcohol I'd say it's a carboxylic acid and makes an ester. Since it's a carboxylic acid, the starting alcohol must be a primary alcohol.
    Liquid z is an ester of butan-2-ol and the carboxylic acid made.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Butan-2-ol is CH3CH(OH)CH2CH3
    The carboxylic acid made can be either CH3(CH2)3COOH or CH3CH2CH(CH3)COOH (isomers of primary alcohols make the two different carboxylic acids)
    The ester produced is either CH3(CH2)3COOCH(CH3)CH2CH3
    or CH3CH2CH(CH3)COOCH(CH3)CH2CH3. Since only the first one is in the answers, I'd say it was A.
    Name:  Photo on 01-06-2016 at 08.29 #2.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  144.6 KB

hey thank u !!!! i dunno how i cudnt understand such an easy question!!! thanks once again i appreciate it alot !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alyoan tariq)
    hey thank u !!!! i dunno how i cudnt understand such an easy question!!! thanks once again i appreciate it alot !!
    No problem, sometimes it's just a case of leaving the question and coming back to it later to get a new perspective

ReputationRep:
    Which exam board / level is this? I do AS level chemistry (OCR) and I the synthetic routes stop at aldehyde... maybe it's in the textbook and I just haven't seen that it reacts with dichromate ions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GenericPerson2)
    Which exam board / level is this? I do AS level chemistry (OCR) and I the synthetic routes stop at aldehyde... maybe it's in the textbook and I just haven't seen that it reacts with dichromate ions?

yea ....1 alcohols oxidise to aldehydes
    so basically I don't know if the dichromate ions are ACTUALLY reacting or wait no it doesn't because we just present this reagent by just putting oxygen in brackets
    then we just remove a water molecule ...that is why its an agent not a reagent ...

ReputationRep:
    The dichromate is definitely acting as a reagent. The chromium ions will get reduced in the process.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.