alyoan tariq
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Compound X, C5H12O, is oxidised by acidified sodium dichromate(VI) to compound Y.
Compound Y reacts with butan-2-ol in the presence of a little concentrated sulfuric acid to give
liquid Z.
What could be the formula of Z?
A)CH3(CH2)3CO2CH(CH3)CH2CH3
B)CH3(CH2)3CO2(CH2)3CH3
C)CH3(CH2)2CO2CH(CH3)CH2CH3
D)(CH3)2CHCH2CO2C(CH3)3
Laurasaur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alyoan tariq)
Compound X, C5H12O, is oxidised by acidified sodium dichromate(VI) to compound Y.
Compound Y reacts with butan-2-ol in the presence of a little concentrated sulfuric acid to give
liquid Z.
What could be the formula of Z?
A)CH3(CH2)3CO2CH(CH3)CH2CH3
B)CH3(CH2)3CO2(CH2)3CH3
C)CH3(CH2)2CO2CH(CH3)CH2CH3
D)(CH3)2CHCH2CO2C(CH3)3
We can assume compound x is either an alcohol or an aldehyde because it can be oxidised by dichromate ions.
Which makes compound y either an aldehyde or a carboxylic acid. As it reacts with an alcohol I'd say it's a carboxylic acid and makes an ester. Since it's a carboxylic acid, the starting alcohol must be a primary alcohol.
Liquid z is an ester of butan-2-ol and the carboxylic acid made.
Spoiler:
Show
Butan-2-ol is CH3CH(OH)CH2CH3
The carboxylic acid made can be either CH3(CH2)3COOH or CH3CH2CH(CH3)COOH (isomers of primary alcohols make the two different carboxylic acids)
The ester produced is either CH3(CH2)3COOCH(CH3)CH2CH3
or CH3CH2CH(CH3)COOCH(CH3)CH2CH3. Since only the first one is in the answers, I'd say it was A.
Name:  Photo on 01-06-2016 at 08.29 #2.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  144.6 KB
alyoan tariq
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laurasaur)
We can assume compound x is either an alcohol or an aldehyde because it can be oxidised by dichromate ions.
Which makes compound y either an aldehyde or a carboxylic acid. As it reacts with an alcohol I'd say it's a carboxylic acid and makes an ester. Since it's a carboxylic acid, the starting alcohol must be a primary alcohol.
Liquid z is an ester of butan-2-ol and the carboxylic acid made.
Spoiler:
Show
Butan-2-ol is CH3CH(OH)CH2CH3
The carboxylic acid made can be either CH3(CH2)3COOH or CH3CH2CH(CH3)COOH (isomers of primary alcohols make the two different carboxylic acids)
The ester produced is either CH3(CH2)3COOCH(CH3)CH2CH3
or CH3CH2CH(CH3)COOCH(CH3)CH2CH3. Since only the first one is in the answers, I'd say it was A.
Name:  Photo on 01-06-2016 at 08.29 #2.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  144.6 KB

hey thank u !!!! i dunno how i cudnt understand such an easy question!!! thanks once again i appreciate it alot !!
Laurasaur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alyoan tariq)
hey thank u !!!! i dunno how i cudnt understand such an easy question!!! thanks once again i appreciate it alot !!
No problem, sometimes it's just a case of leaving the question and coming back to it later to get a new perspective
GenericPerson2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which exam board / level is this? I do AS level chemistry (OCR) and I the synthetic routes stop at aldehyde... maybe it's in the textbook and I just haven't seen that it reacts with dichromate ions?
alyoan tariq
Rep:
?
(Original post by GenericPerson2)
Which exam board / level is this? I do AS level chemistry (OCR) and I the synthetic routes stop at aldehyde... maybe it's in the textbook and I just haven't seen that it reacts with dichromate ions?

yea ....1 alcohols oxidise to aldehydes
so basically I don't know if the dichromate ions are ACTUALLY reacting or wait no it doesn't because we just present this reagent by just putting oxygen in brackets
then we just remove a water molecule ...that is why its an agent not a reagent ...
VanEkerDr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The dichromate is definitely acting as a reagent. The chromium ions will get reduced in the process.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (25)
16.67%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (49)
32.67%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.33%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (15)
10%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.67%
I think it's an unfair expectation (37)
24.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2%

Watched Threads