ChancedTravels
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello!

Wasn't really sure where to post this, so apologies if it seems a bit misplaced.

I've been working in education for over a year now, and have volunteered in various third sector and NHS education roles also. I know that what I want to do is work with young people with behaviour difficulties and mental health problems - but I don't know what the best route to this would be.

I have a degree in English (have just finished, will come out with either 2:1 or 1st). I have an interview for BSc Mental Health Nursing coming up to start in September.

I am worried that becoming a nurse I will realise I don't actually get to spend much time with the young people, but rather due to staff shortages and cuts I will be doing paperwork and whizzing thought community visits. But equally, if I go down the route of gaining QTS and looking to work in PRU, inpatient psychiatric adolescent ward or hospital school, there will be VERY limited jobs available in that specific area.

I appreciate that the role of a teacher and the role of a nurse are very different, both are roles I would be happy to work in. My preference would be nursing, if the job was as intended and I had time to spend with the young people, but I feel like working in an education role would actually give me more of a chance to build up therapeutic relationships and offer pastoral and holistic support.

Does anyone have any advice? Or experience of working in this sector of education?

My heart says nursing but my head says maybe education/pastoral is a more realistic and appropriate option in the long run.
Findlay6
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
First thing that came to mind was school counselling? You don't really play a part in the educational setting but moreso in teenage mental health, or I used to work for Cambian (a teenage residential unit for mental health) which had an educational environment attached but also was ran by nurses. Again it's more nursing their health than education.

I can see your difficulty. You want to support mental health and education together but the jobs are limited here both roles are prevalent.

As a teacher, you naturally take on some pastoral care. As you get to know your classes and students you start to look out for them and (hopefully) care for them but usually if mental health is noticed it would be passed on to the safeguarding team and out of your hands unless the student approaches you again.
ChancedTravels
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Findlay6)
First thing that came to mind was school counselling? You don't really play a part in the educational setting but moreso in teenage mental health, or I used to work for Cambian (a teenage residential unit for mental health) which had an educational environment attached but also was ran by nurses. Again it's more nursing their health than education.

I can see your difficulty. You want to support mental health and education together but the jobs are limited here both roles are prevalent.

As a teacher, you naturally take on some pastoral care. As you get to know your classes and students you start to look out for them and (hopefully) care for them but usually if mental health is noticed it would be passed on to the safeguarding team and out of your hands unless the student approaches you again.
Thank you that's a good suggestion - I will look into counselling
StayEvergreen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChancedTravels)
Hello!

Wasn't really sure where to post this, so apologies if it seems a bit misplaced.

I've been working in education for over a year now, and have volunteered in various third sector and NHS education roles also. I know that what I want to do is work with young people with behaviour difficulties and mental health problems - but I don't know what the best route to this would be.

I have a degree in English (have just finished, will come out with either 2:1 or 1st). I have an interview for BSc Mental Health Nursing coming up to start in September.

I am worried that becoming a nurse I will realise I don't actually get to spend much time with the young people, but rather due to staff shortages and cuts I will be doing paperwork and whizzing thought community visits. But equally, if I go down the route of gaining QTS and looking to work in PRU, inpatient psychiatric adolescent ward or hospital school, there will be VERY limited jobs available in that specific area.

I appreciate that the role of a teacher and the role of a nurse are very different, both are roles I would be happy to work in. My preference would be nursing, if the job was as intended and I had time to spend with the young people, but I feel like working in an education role would actually give me more of a chance to build up therapeutic relationships and offer pastoral and holistic support.

Does anyone have any advice? Or experience of working in this sector of education?

My heart says nursing but my head says maybe education/pastoral is a more realistic and appropriate option in the long run.
Both are good roles and it would depend what jobs are around when you graduate. It sounds like you want to be a nurse and, as you are applying to a 3 year nursing programme, it would be almost impossible to guess what the job market would be like in 3 years. Mental health is becoming a bigger thing in government policies and the Tories may well invest heavily towards the end of the government to try and garner some support.

The chance to build up therapuetic relationships simply depends on your role. Yes, if you are working on a ward where you are seeing new patients every day, then you couldn't necessarily form as close a bond with patients. However, you will have a choice of job! I'd do nursing because it sounds like it is what you want to do and if it takes you a bit longer to find your ideal job than it would with teaching, then it'd be worth it because it is what you want to do.

Just my two cents.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (95)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (284)
15.09%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (199)
10.57%
Lack of purpose or motivation (264)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (83)
4.41%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (109)
5.79%
Loneliness (163)
8.66%
Financial worries (67)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (82)
4.36%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (105)
5.58%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (165)
8.77%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (177)
9.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed