Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does any of these unis have a brand name at all? Which one do you think is best regarded by employers?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kaspy)
    Does any of these unis have a brand name at all? Which one do you think is best regarded by employers?
    Exeter, no questions asked

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    None of them are targetted, however I would consider re-applying completely. If that option isn't available, I would go to Exeter, however you would have to compensate for the brand name, and that essentially involves more work, in contrast to someone at a target university.

ReputationRep:
    Could you elaborate? Its not that I care much about rankings, but Strathclyde ranks very well in Business and Finance.
    I guess that employers in the city probably prefer Exeter but I think Strathclyde would maybe provide me with better job prospects in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

The courses that I am applying to are Msc Quantiative Finance or MSc Financial Mathematics. Im also waiting response from Manchester but im not very hopeful. If i got accepted I think I would stick with this one though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kaspy)
    Could you elaborate? Its not that I care much about rankings, but Strathclyde ranks very well in Business and Finance.
    I guess that employers in the city probably prefer Exeter but I think Strathclyde would maybe provide me with better job prospects in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

The courses that I am applying to are Msc Quantiative Finance or MSc Financial Mathematics. Im also waiting response from Manchester but im not very hopeful. If i got accepted I think I would stick with this one though.
    Well if you don't want to do high finance (you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere related to high finance in Glasgow or Edinburgh that are also willing to take on new grads), it doesn't matter to be honest. The whole prestige hierarchy effect drops significantly outside of high finance/consulting etc.. The big4 recruit a fair amount of Strathy grads for audit as far as I'm aware and they also tend to do alright for finance department grad schemes. It might be easier to get a job at a small-medium business in one of those cities as you'd already be in Scotland but larger companies for the most part are pretty location agnostic.

I assumed, as you posted this in the IB&Consulting forum that you wanted advice geared towards those areas..

Manchester, imo, would be the best choice out of the ones you'd have - if you get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaspy)
    Exeter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Exeter

ReputationRep:
    I would go with Strathclyde tbh

ReputationRep:
    Strathclyde is only known for business, while Exeter has an excellent Business school, and the University is known much more in the UK and worldwide. Definitely Exeter is the better choice.

ReputationRep:
    hey pal ! can you please suggest me which univ I should choose among the following for MSc in International Management course if my main priority is to get a job.
    1. university of Exeter
    2. Univ of strathclyde
    3. Univ of Southampton
    4. Royal holloway
    5. Univ of Leeds
    6. Univ of Reading

I have received offer letter from all of the above.
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Well if you don't want to do high finance (you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere related to high finance in Glasgow or Edinburgh that are also willing to take on new grads), it doesn't matter to be honest. The whole prestige hierarchy effect drops significantly outside of high finance/consulting etc.. The big4 recruit a fair amount of Strathy grads for audit as far as I'm aware and they also tend to do alright for finance department grad schemes. It might be easier to get a job at a small-medium business in one of those cities as you'd already be in Scotland but larger companies for the most part are pretty location agnostic.

I assumed, as you posted this in the IB&Consulting forum that you wanted advice geared towards those areas..

Manchester, imo, would be the best choice out of the ones you'd have - if you get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey pal ! can you please suggest me which univ I should choose among the following for MSc in International Management course if my main priority is to get a job.
    1. university of Exeter
    2. Univ of strathclyde
    3. Univ of Southampton
    4. Royal holloway
    5. Univ of Leeds
    6. Univ of Reading

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yashgt)
    1. university of Exeter
    2. Univ of strathclyde
    3. Univ of Southampton
    4. Royal holloway
    5. Univ of Leeds
    6. Univ of Reading

Thanks in advance
    If it was me, I'd go for Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.