Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To fill up my summer this year, I applied to 3 summer schools, the Nuffield Research Placement and several study days, all of which I got rejected from
    And now I have no work experience or anything similar in the summer, what should I do?
    I wanted to apply for either physics or engineering at a russell group university but the chances of getting accepted seem very slim considering I have no supercurricular stuff for the summer. Im losing hope and its really getting me down, to the point where I have no motivation to do anything, even revise
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Exams first.

You can easily sort out work experience or do an EPQ to help you get onto a physics or engineersing course. You should learn to weather small setbacks.
    Your studies are more important.

Maybe get soem feedback as to why you were rejected.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Exams first.

You can easily sort out work experience or do an EPQ to help you get onto a physics or engineersing course. You should learn to weather small setbacks.
    Your studies are more important.

Maybe get soem feedback as to why you were rejected.
    I am doing an EPQ but sorting out work experience is harder than it sounds when I dont even know where to apply to.
    I have emailed for feedback but unfortunately they always say they cant provide individual responses since there wwere so many applications

Any tips to stay motivated to study?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Think about failing and not getting into Uni at all. I assume you are doing AS rather than A2, just rbeak it down into small chunks and accpet you need the results and to do that you need the knwoedlge and undestanding that comes from sudy.

Work experience requires you to put effort into research and think about what might give you an insught into physics or engineering. It elies on your imagination and then to be able to persevere and pitch yourself to the right companies in your area.

Please?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please?
    Please what?

http://www.theguardian.com/education...onal-statement

http://www.theguardian.com/education...nt-for-physics

Read, understand and fill in the dots so you are avle to write a ps, when the time comes.

Revusuin, do past papers, keep the variety up and take frequent breaks. you either wnat to study and get the grades or you do not.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    To fill up my summer this year, I applied to 3 summer schools, the Nuffield Research Placement and several study days, all of which I got rejected from
    And now I have no work experience or anything similar in the summer, what should I do?
    I wanted to apply for either physics or engineering at a russell group university but the chances of getting accepted seem very slim considering I have no supercurricular stuff for the summer. Im losing hope and its really getting me down, to the point where I have no motivation to do anything, even revise
    "Supercurricular" (never heard that word before) isn't of any importance for university admissions outside of very select areas such as medicine.

I genuinely have no idea why so many people continue to think that work experience is such a necessity. I did engineering and hardly anyone had any sort of work experience before they started the course. Because it's not important at all - it's your grades that are important.

ReputationRep:
    Well tbh this is not a failue. One of my friends applied for physics and she managed to get an interview at Oxford with very little in any work experience. Extracuricular is important but it is not just work experience that counts. Try and do a lot of volunteering and 'extra reading' over the summer. Not having work experience is not a disaster and you cannot call yourself a failure after a bit of resistance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.