Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

New A Levels and applying to Medical schools 2017 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Like everyone in year 12, I am studying the new A Level Biology and Chemistry courses (which are a lot more challenging!). My school has opted for us to take the AS Levels as a 'practice' even though they don't count, but 98% of my year can barely pass them. I am predicted A/A* in Biology and Chemistry for the end of Year 13 but currently they are proving demanding. I was wondering if medical schools are altering their entry requirements in light of the new A Levels, due to their difficulty and the fact the AS Levels are not a proper grade compared to previous years. However, I do understand the A Levels are changing for a reason and therefore lowering the entry requirements possibly defeats this purpose. Medical schools I am interested in are Cardiff, Exeter, King's College London, St George's, Brighton and Sussex, UCL, Imperial and Southampton.
    Oh and I am studying the new OCR Advancing Biology B (everyone is doing Biology A which isn't a good sign) and OCR Chemistry A. The first Biology exam was hard but Chemistry wasn't too bad...
    And my other AS Levels are Edexcel Maths (old A Level) and the new Edexcel English Literature if that's any help!

I would appreciate it if people could let me know their opinions
    Good luck for your remaining exams!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by c10112)
    Hi everyone,

Like everyone in year 12, I am studying the new A Level Biology and Chemistry courses (which are a lot more challenging!). My school has opted for us to take the AS Levels as a 'practice' even though they don't count, but 98% of my year can barely pass them. I am predicted A/A* in Biology and Chemistry for the end of Year 13 but currently they are proving demanding. I was wondering if medical schools are altering their entry requirements in light of the new A Levels, due to their difficulty and the fact the AS Levels are not a proper grade compared to previous years. However, I do understand the A Levels are changing for a reason and therefore lowering the entry requirements possibly defeats this purpose. Medical schools I am interested in are Cardiff, Exeter, King's College London, St George's, Brighton and Sussex, UCL, Imperial and Southampton.
    Oh and I am studying the new OCR Advancing Biology B (everyone is doing Biology A which isn't a good sign) and OCR Chemistry A. The first Biology exam was hard but Chemistry wasn't too bad...
    And my other AS Levels are Edexcel Maths (old A Level) and the new Edexcel English Literature if that's any help!

I would appreciate it if people could let me know their opinions
    Good luck for your remaining exams!
    Hello,

In short answer to your main question - yes, most medical schools are slightly altering their entrance requirements in order to adjust to the new linear A level system. This is not really in terms of grades though - it's more that they are altering the way they assess your application.

We've actually spoken to every UK Medical School to ask them how they are considering AS levels. Most said that as AS levels (in the old style) will not be sat by everyone, they will not officially count towards the way the university will rank your academic achievements.

However, for students who have sat AS levels (whether they count or not), some med schools have specified that you have to have 4 AS levels, and have achieved an A grade in particular subjects.

Also, you must bear in mind that your AS levels could form the basis of your A level predictions (again, whether they count or not).

You can see a full table of all of the UK Medical Schools and whether they will be considering AS levels here.

Hope you find the above useful!

The Medic Portal

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.