The Student Room Group

I moving away in September. What's the process

Hi guys,

I know this is going to come across to most of you a very pointless (probably obvious) question, but Its all new to me.

I'm currently at university and have secured an industry year placement in September which is at the opposite end of the country.

I've never moved out before and lived with my parents thus far all my life.

Whats the process of getting accommodation ?
When do I go to view properties ?
Do I arrange them all on the same day as I have to travel far to view ?
How far in advanced of the start of my placement do I start preparing ?
Original post by jlis
Hi guys,

I know this is going to come across to most of you a very pointless (probably obvious) question, but Its all new to me.

I'm currently at university and have secured an industry year placement in September which is at the opposite end of the country.

I've never moved out before and lived with my parents thus far all my life.

Whats the process of getting accommodation ?
When do I go to view properties ?
Do I arrange them all on the same day as I have to travel far to view ?
How far in advanced of the start of my placement do I start preparing ?

Hello :smile:

No questions are pointless, like you've said it's all new to you therefore, it's not pointless - nothing wrong in asking questions.

This industry placement, is it arranged through your university or something you've arranged yourself? If it's through university, they should be able to help you arrange accommodation.

If not, start off by looking for Student Properties to Rent in the area you are looking for. You'll usually be directed to RightMove and websites like that - start there and start looking at the places you can afford, distance, if they come furnished, if all bills are included in the price and so on and so forth. Get together like 4-5 viewings at first - if you can arrange them all on the same day, it'll be helpful to you but if not, split them up a little. Start the process NOW and go as soon as possible - it's important to start now, when it comes to accommodation never leave it till the last minute. Just start preparing and getting everything ready now.

Most important - make sure you know how much it is going to cost and whether you can afford it or not on top of your living costs - such as food and what not. Just prepare everything!

Does this help? :smile:
Reply 2
Hello,

Thanks for the quick response!

The placement is something I've arranged myself and the university has no part in it :/

I wasn't sure if it was too early to start viewing properties as I won't be moving in till September. It's good to get that cleared up so thank you so much.

I'll start making arrangements over the next couple of weeks to travel down and start viewing.

One last thing... do you think it's worth ringing somebody like rightmove and telling them the situation and see if they can assist in arranging viewings for the same day ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending