Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Language - Acquisition and Change? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have any good websites for these topics? I've got good notes, but I'd like to see some good ones online that I can work from too.

ReputationRep:
    universal teacher is a good one! google it

ReputationRep:
    http://www.geoffbarton.co.uk/student-resources.php

havnt looked at it much but seems 2 b quite gud

ReputationRep:
    Bookmarked. Yay, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Not nexessarily websites, but if you have any queries I'd be happy to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    hi im not sure if i have enough notes on semantic change..

i know about:
    different semantic fields
    narrowing
    broadening
    ameilioration
    prejoration
    weakening
    idioms
    euphenisms
    political correctness

this cant be all i have to know for this section can it?

confused

ReputationRep:
    Slang
    Taboo - what semantical features does taboo lexis have - such as harsh sounds at the ends of word, s**T to allow agression to be lost that way.

...really to be honest with you I put the semantic changes with other areas, such as lexis and grammar. I find it extremely difficult to have an 'entire' section to itself.

ReputationRep:
    thanks!! shall add them

erm.. another question (sorry)

what do you know about phonological change, my teacher told me i dont need to do that much about it because the texts are usually written so not much will come up for it. I do have a few ideas for it

like phonetic spellings and phonetic past tense endings (e.g. askt)

can you think of anything else?

please dont tell me were supposed to have learnt about this 'great vowel shift' (i asked my teacher he said no- but then again i might have to!)

please help if you can!!

p.s. im not as stoopid as i sound in this blog.. just v. confused

ReputationRep:
    HEHE! I read the first bit and thought GREAT VOWEL SHIFT hehe! You should know that it happened, and what it was and why just to add and get higher marks.

ReputationRep:
    okies thanks!s no great details we need to know on it then?

so there isnt reems of terminology for phonological change that i dont know about?

also if you dont mind what have you covered in grammar change??

(sorry my teacher isnt much help.. he has literally 'shoved' me before when ive asked him to help me on stuff ive been stuck on.. actually i think he has on two occassions.. and laughed at me.. hes mean)

ReputationRep:
    Grammar changes include:
    - shortenning of sentence length
    - punctuation differences
    - use of different voices in different circumstances
    - change from 'every student should see his tutor' to 'every student should see his/her tutor'

ReputationRep:
    i thought we had to know about the 'great vowel shift' in a fair bit of detail... covered it in lesson an damn wus it confusin and soooo long!

ReputationRep:
    We haven't covered in great detial, just know that it is there!

ReputationRep:
    phonological changegreat vowel shift- over period of approx. 200 years pronunciation of long vowel sounds changed replacing them with sounds we have similar to today. thousands of words were affected. some examples are:

Middle english word - modern day word
    Toe- To
    Weef - Wife
    Moos- Mouse
    Bayn - been
    Heer- her

you may also wish to look at Martha vineyard study carried out by Labov in 1963

Why phonological change happens?
    social factors - imitate speech of people we admire or respect and in this way language change spreads

if you are stuck on any other framework ask!!!

ReputationRep:
    some of what i have learnt at school, hope it helps
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Before English began-time change.doc (32.3 KB, 236 views)
  2. File Type: doc Revision - language change frameworks.doc (32.3 KB, 213 views)
  3. File Type: doc tiles lang change.doc (40.8 KB, 326 views)
  4. File Type: doc Child language acquisition revision ( SPEAKING).doc (97.5 KB, 307 views)
  5. File Type: doc Child language acquisition revision ( WRITING).doc (84.0 KB, 346 views)

ReputationRep:
    Here are a few more notes i have on CLA
    Attached Files
  6. File Type: doc Child language acquisition revision (READING ).doc (80.0 KB, 126 views)
  7. File Type: doc Child language acquisition revision (DYSLEXIA ).doc (68.0 KB, 119 views)

ReputationRep:
    I love you more than life itself. I'd practically forgotten all about language acquisition.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone maybe give a brief rundown of the verb inflections that took place in Middle English? I'm reading my notes and am beyond confused by the inflections.

ReputationRep:
    through middle english period some inflections were used that are not used today, i.e. the -th and -st endings in verbs ('doth' 'dost') thats all i could find from my text book on verb inflections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlondeKelly18)
    phonological changegreat vowel shift- over period of approx. 200 years pronunciation of long vowel sounds changed replacing them with sounds we have similar to today. thousands of words were affected. some examples are:

Middle english word - modern day word
    Toe- To
    Weef - Wife
    Moos- Mouse
    Bayn - been
    Heer- her

you may also wish to look at Martha vineyard study carried out by Labov in 1963

Why phonological change happens?
    social factors - imitate speech of people we admire or respect and in this way language change spreads

if you are stuck on any other framework ask!!!
    This can also be related back to the magic 'e' as in turning the short vowel sound in 'tap' to a long one in 'tape'. This can also be linked to spelling reform.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.