Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since it may be said that paedophilia is caused by some kind of mental illness, should we be treating them as harshly as we are?

ReputationRep:
    most people who commit hardcore crimes (mass murderers/rapists/paedophiles...) have mental illnesses. No "normal" person would do such things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    most people who commit hardcore crimes (mass murderers/rapists/paedophiles...) have mental illnesses. No "normal" person would do such things.
    If that is the case, why do we not treat them in the same way we treat others with metal illness, giving them help rather locking them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Since it may be said that paedophilia is caused by some kind of mental illness, should we be treating them as harshly as we are?
    It has been said that paedophilia is incurable and as such we need to protect our childrens' innocence.

I do not think they are treated harshly - they must be kept away from all contact with children - their victims retain the legacy of the paedophiles perversions for the rest of their lives.

I would recommend compulsory chemical castration.

ReputationRep:
    They are undoubtedly dangerous, however they should be treated with pity as well as this is certainly a mental illness(though this is not to say their treatement in terms of sentences, records etc should be made any more lenient) What should definately be developed is a system of chemical castration for offenders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    It has been said that paedophilia is incurable and as such we need to protect our childrens' innocence.

I do not think they are treated harshly - they must be kept away from all contact with children - their victims retain the legacy of the paedophiles perversions for the rest of their lives.

I would recommend compulsory chemical castration.
    But are all older children completely innocent now, and you do have cases of children leading on the paedophile, but still we have this conviluted sense of child innocence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    They are undoubtedly dangerous, however they should be treated with pity as well as this is certainly a mental illness(though this is not to say their treatement in terms of sentences, records etc should be made any more lenient) What should definately be developed is a system of chemical castration for offenders.
    I would think special instutions should be made for them, which will detain them but also keep them away from the general prison population.

ReputationRep:
    I would think special instutions should be made for them, which will detain them but also keep them away from the general prison population.
    Yes, rehabilitation should also be afforded them (that is, if they are capable of it). I believe that a paedophile should never be allowed back into the public while still capable of arousal - even if they are truly repentant (which is by all accounts very rare) i wouldnt trust them not to 'slip' in their intentions.

ReputationRep:
    If that is the case, why do we not treat them in the same way we treat others with metal illness, giving them help rather locking them up.
    I dont know. Way I see it atm is: If they're evaluated mentally ill before they commit any crimes, then they get 'helped'. If they commit crimes first, then they are less likely to be evaluated mentally ill and most likely will serve a prison sentence or whatever is deemed fit. That's probably wrong though - maybe som1 knowing some law will explain better.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, rehabilitation should also be afforded them (that is, if they are capable of it). I believe that a paedophile should never be allowed back into the public while still capable of arousal - even if they are truly repentant (which is by all accounts very rare) i wouldnt trust them not to 'slip' in their intentions.
    I would reckon that some do not want to do it, they just have urges which they cannot control, like people who are complusive eaters.

ReputationRep:
    Chemical castration? Doesn't that inherit alot of the questions of the death penalty? What if you castrate an innocent person? There's also a bit of uncertainty in my mind over whether you can ever justify forcing to take medication against their will. It's similar to testing new drugs on ordinary criminals?

ReputationRep:
    Would you say paedophiles are really any different from sexual offenders whose victims are above 16 years of age?

I see the point you make, but for some reason I feel there is always hope of rehabilitation for both. If the worst comes to the worst, they could always be castrated .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
    Would you say paedophiles are really any different from sexual offenders whose victims are above 16 years of age?

I see the point you make, but for some reason I feel there is always hope of rehabilitation for both. If the worst comes to the worst, they could always be castrated .
    As I have said, most people think that children are all innocent and while the younger children may be, recently, it is clear that some of older children are not.

ReputationRep:
    But are all older children completely innocent now, and you do have cases of children leading on the paedophile, but still we have this conviluted sense of child innocence.
    Oh dear - this comment that paedophiles say that their victims have 'led them on' is a symptom of their warped justification for making those children their victims. I would suggest that you ask a child that has been systematically 'groomed' by a paedophile and then abused what they make of this accusation by the perpetrator as their defence.

Or better still, those that have been abducted from their gardens or playgrounds and horribly injured. These paedophiles will say 'but I love children and wanted to share that love' - sick :mad:

Children are innocent until they have been corrupted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
    Interesting point, not something id actually considered before. I suppose there is an argument for what you say, although id point out that 'repeat offenders' are probably what you refer to.

ReputationRep:
    I think they should be treated the same as any other criminal, and yes there should be developed ways of 'curing' them, although i don't believe that we can truly 'cure' a criminal, maybe enough to return to society, but never fully.

If we're referring to them as having a mental illness, then surely we can look back 50 years or so, when homosexuality was seen as a mental illness, and it has now become integrated into society. I think that we have to be careful about how much pity we take on these dangerous criminals, which is what they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Oh dear - this comment that paedophiles say that their victims have 'led them on' is a symptom of their warped justification for making those children their victims. I would suggest that you ask a child that has been systematically 'groomed' by a paedophile and then abused what they make of this accusation by the perpetrator as their defence.

Or better still, those that have been abducted from their gardens or playgrounds and horribly injured. These paedophiles will say 'but I love children and wanted to share that love' - sick :mad:

Children are innocent until they have been corrupted!
    I am just saying that some children have been corrupted, but not by paedophiles, rather their peer group. At present, sexuality is all around children, from the TV to adverts, it is impossible to miss. Society is exposing children to sex far too soon and sometimes it can cause corruption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pip210)
    I think they should be treated the same as any other criminal, and yes there should be developed ways of 'curing' them, although i don't believe that we can truly 'cure' a criminal, maybe enough to return to society, but never fully.

If we're referring to them as having a mental illness, then surely we can look back 50 years or so, when homosexuality was seen as a mental illness, and it has now become integrated into society. I think that we have to be careful about how much pity we take on these dangerous criminals, which is what they are.
    Fair point.

Castration is such an effective remedy for all such (sexual) hormonally driven behaviours, that the existence of a cure isn't speculative but real. Surely, doing so to cure them would be complete rehabilitation from a simplistic POV.

ReputationRep:
    Different people have different sexual appetites, men, women, gay, lesbian or straight, role plays, bestiality, and all sorts of ridiculous and yucky things, you name it, someone's probably into it.

Thing is, whatever your sexual taste is, there is always an element of self discipline. People who can't control their desires become sexual offenders and rapists, these people have not learnt or are not trying hard enough to suppress their libido and as a result have done something truly selfish and dispicable.
    The same applies for paedophiles. People who have developed tastes for children cannot suppress their desires and as a result are endangering society's children. I don't really think it's an illness, don't give them too much slack.

ReputationRep:
    Would you much prefer it if anyone who thought they had paedophilic tendencies to go on a register or something, so they could be monitored?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.